Monday, November 2, 2009

Power

Hi,

Today it was blue skies here in Chiang Rai. Perfect weather for Loy Kratong. We lunched and shopped at Big C, I had a good meeting with the dentist, and the night sky was filled with lots of amazing sights.

Well, the weekend song was a bit of a stumper. I'll admit it was obscure, but someone should have guessed it. There was one close call, but the song was the theme from "The Greatest American Hero" by Joey Scarbury. It was from a TV show of the same name that aired from 1981 to 1983. Look up the 'Wiki' to find out more about this show that fed lots of fantasies. (Ha)

Our 'Easy Monday' song is a little more down to Earth. "Nothing you can say that can tear me away from __ __. Nothing you can do 'cause I'm stuck like glue to __ __." This is a classic that you all should know. Maybe I'll give you a hint tomorrow. For extra special bonus points, name the hit song whose musical hook was used in our 'Easy' song at the end of it's verses. Have fun with that.

Late morning found us at Big C for lunch. Then we went upstairs and did the weekly supply shopping. We got there just before the rush and it made it easy to find things. As we were leaving, the cars and trucks were streaming into the lot. I suspect it was 'holiday' shopping.

I met with the dentist today and asked him if he was still having trouble with his back. After stating that it was a little bit better he jumped right in and told me he'd make impressions today and send them off to Bangkok. Wow, that was easy. So, I go back next Monday for stage two of the process. This will be a whole new experience for me. As his assistant was preparing the mold mix, I had a flashback to when I was 11 years old and had to get a retainer to straighten out a front tooth. Those were the days when they used a plaster type mixture to cast the impression. That's when I discovered that I had a very sensitive gag reflex. The poor staff in the office quickly learned that extra pans and towels were in order when I came in. This time there was no problem. Oh, the wonders of modern science.

Tonight, as I write to you, the whole city seems to be celebrating Loy Kratong. It sounds like a war zone with all the fire crackers (which sound more like bombs). The sky is full of balloons held aloft with little fires inside, fireworks displays of every description, and traffic like we've never seen before. I think this is the biggest celebration yet. Our street is a gridlock of cars, trucks and motorbikes, all trying to get to the main road and across the river to the fair grounds. We can hear the thump of the bass on the main stage throbbing under all the other sounds. The Samlor drivers have their tops down so riders can see the sights in the night sky and many homes and businesses have rows of candles burning across the front of their property. It's all quite a sight to see.

The dogs got a little freaked out by all the explosions, but now they've settled down and are relaxing upstairs with us.

Have a Great Week.

Peace,
Danny

"Stupidity is not a Super Power."
~Andi Harrington

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: