Monday, November 23, 2009

Path

Hi,

The weather finally made the big jump into winter. We went to a party where mostly English was spoken. I also grieved the loss of a friend.

Our weekend song was only known by two of you. I don't believe it. Lisa and Eileen knew how to "Boogie, Oogie, Oogie". That was by Taste of Honey. The last time we used this song, more of you knew it. Hmm, brain fade?
"I know you, don't no what I'm goin' through, standin' here lookin' at you. Well, let me tell you that it __ __ __, it makes me feel so sad..." Hint: It's a ballad in three words. This little guy has had some pretty big hits. He shed tears on his pillow.

We had to make a definitive wardrobe shift this weekend. The thin cotton just got moved to the rear of the closet and the thermals have taken center stage. The thought of wearing a jacket used to make me cringe, now I don't leave without it. From all we can tell, it's coming down from China and it happened like this last year. The temps in Chiang Rai are very close to the numbers in Los Angeles. It's not really that cold to some people, but when the drop is so drastic, it feels like a deep freeze. Actually, it's warm in the sun, but it will go away and then Mr. Chill will come out.

Saturday night we went to a birthday party for our new friend Nate. He and his wife Rachel live in a wonderful wooden Thai house that they're renting. It's on a compound that makes you feel like you're in the woods. There were lots of 'young' people there, mostly from the U.S. and Canada. There were also their Thai friends from the language school and some other members of different volunteer teams. We had a great time talking about everything you could imagine. Now we have more new friends and our circle is getting even bigger.

Chiang Rai has started putting up decorations in preparation for the celebration of the King's birthday. There are also huge posters of the King, colored lights, and stages where various events will be held. Even though we'll miss the actual celebrations of the day, I'm sure there will be festivities for a few days.

Saturday also brought news of the passing of a friend. I have mentioned 'my dear friend' Lois many times in my messages. We had been friends for about 25 years and she was one of the early readers of this 'blog'. She loved the songs from the 50s and 60s and, as she put it, was in love with Mr. August. She hounded me about putting the stories about August into a book. She will definitely be missed.

Have a Great Week.

Peace,
Danny

A young but earnest Zen student approached his teacher, and asked the Zen Master:
"If I work very hard and diligent how long will it take for me to find Zen."
The Master thought about this, then replied, "Ten years."

The student then said, "But what if I work very, very hard and really
apply myself to learn fast -- How long then?"
Replied the Master, "Well, twenty years."

"But, if I really, really work at it. How long then ?" asked the student.
"Thirty years," replied the Master.

"But, I do not understand", said the disappointed student. "At each time
that I say I will work harder, you say it will take me longer. Why do
you say that?"

Replied the Master, "When you have one eye on the goal, you only have
one eye on the path."
~Unknown

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: