Monday, November 30, 2015

Serenity

Hi,

It’s safe to say that northern Thailand is hot.  The degree of hot has a range, but it’s hot during the day.  Chiang Rai seems to be cooling down sooner than Chiang Mai.  Our low tonight is supposed to be 65F.

The ‘Old School Friday’ song was “Born Too Late” by the Poni-Tails.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddaGI5KrSjk   Two people knew this song:  Denny and Trudye.  Hmm.  Time for ‘Easy Monday’.  Here’s a tune from 1980 that was also the name of a hit movie.  “Baby, look at me and tell me what you see.  You ain’t seen the best of me yet.  Give me time I’ll make you forget the rest… Remember my name.  __!  I’m gonna live forever, I’m gonna learn how to fly”.  Hint:  So easy it hurts (555).  Many people seek this.

The Saturday ‘Thanksgiving’ lunch we went to was fun.  The turkey was cooked to perfection and the company was a small gathering of old and new acquaintances.  There were a lot of kids who all eventually ended up in the pool.  It began when our host, Gary, offered them one Baht per leaf if they went in and collected them off the bottom.  That started it and then it was 1 and 5 Baht coins.  I think the money got recycled, but they were happy. 

Sunday morning we drove down to Chiang Mai for my Monday morning doctor appointment.  The big news is that we stopped at Charon Gardens and I had some pie.  It would appear that the surgery has had a positive effect on my digestion that I wasn’t expecting.  I was told that it might make a difference by the surgeon.  In the past month I have ‘sampled’ a few foods that caused problems in the past, with no ill-affects.  The pie gave me hope.  Sunday evening we went to  the mall, which was next door to the condo complex.  I had a dinner that I haven’t had in a year and nothing bad happened.  Could it be that I can soon go out and eat with the rest of you?  

One interesting thing we noticed at the Central Festival Mall was the abundance of Japanese restaurants.  Since it’s the biggest mall in the northern part of the country, it makes sense that marketeers with a sense of the future would target this metropolitan city.  There are also trendy treat kiosks with everything from mango smoothies to fried bread covered in chocolate.  

The condo where we stayed is an investment device.  This is another ‘trend’ we discovered on our trip.  There are many units in the complex that are owned by people who use AirBnB or other online reservation services, with the idea of income property.  We were in a two-bedroom, two bath unit with a mini-kitchen.  It was very clean and very convenient for our visit.  The owner kept in touch, making sure we were comfortable.

The doctor was happy with my progress and answered my questions and explained things carefully.  I will be returning for a second surgery hopefully in early March.  The staff today was as friendly and attentive as usual.  

Today’s photo shows a new development on the road near Chiang Mai.  There was a large sign warning of sharp curves and slippery surfaces.  The color really gets one’s attention.  It lasted for about 100 yards.


On the way home we stopped and split another piece of pie.  I’ve reach my quota for now.  I have not gone off the deep end by any means, but there are some things that are special treats.

Have a Great Week.

              Peace,
                        Danny

“Serenity isn’t freedom from the storm;
it’s peace within the storm.”
~Unknown

No comments: