Thursday, January 17, 2013

Gift


Hi,

The weather in Chiang Rai has started warming up.  Oh, the joy of walking around in my yard without a shirt.  The mornings and evenings are still cool, but the daytime more than makes up for it.  Music from the temple filled the morning air, along with a reading of donors and their contributions.  Ah, Thailand.

Now I know there are some R&R lovers out there, but I still haven't heard anything on our 'Zany Day' song.  Hmm.
"Well, I confirmed my reservation, then I hopped a cab.  No idea of my destination, and feeling pretty bad.  With my suitcase in my hand, in my head, my new life.  So then I told the airline girl, 'Well, get me on __ __ __, get me on __ __ __."  Hint:  What could I say without giving it away.  The first and last blanks are the title.  Yeah, like that helped.

We've been rather consumed with the early rounds of The Australian Open.  The disc recorder hasn't seen this much action since the Formula One season.  There is a new rule that we think should be in place: Opponents in a given match should not be allowed to wear the same outfit.  It was virtually impossible to tell the players apart in one match today so we moved on to another.  

This afternoon we had a strange thing happen.  Three helicopters flew over the house.  We have heard choppers from the army fly over every now and then, but these were smaller, like from a police unit.  My guess is that they were flying from the border to somewhere in Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai.  There has been a lot of activity at the area around the border with Burma having to do with drug smugglers.  At least we don't have them hovering over the house with search lights and loudspeakers.  

Daku should get an award for 'Most Cooperative Dog Wearing a Cone'.  He's so easy going about the whole thing.  Most of the time he avoids bumping into us and when it has to come off and then back on, he sticks his head out as if to help.  He has figured out how to go up the stairs without catching it, and lifts it out of the way when going through the bushes outside.  When he wakes up in the middle of the night and paces around he doesn't bump his cone into anything.   If only he'd stop pacing.

I saw the Space Station again, streaking across the sky.  It was a few mornings ago, while it was still dark outside.  I looked up to admire the star-filled sky and saw a bright light moving quickly.  I knew what it was and was again reminded about just how amazing that is.  To think that 6 people were up there going 17,000 miles per hour while working, eating and sleeping makes moving about on the ground a trivial thing.  Traveling around the earth every 90 minutes makes our flight from America to Thailand seem like a covered wagon journey.  

I visited with our friend Chalit and his brother at Bliss Studios today.  He was telling me that at the mall there was a Japanese credit card company doing a promotion.  It would appear that Chiang Rai is no longer a sleepy little town in the north, but a potential 'consumer center' and the coming ASEAN agreement is part of the motivation.  It's probably not going to be big news anywhere in the world but here, but it seems like a big thing.

We don't get out into the wild these days, but here is a photo from the archives.  It was taken at Lamnam Kok National Park.  This is one of the 'baby falls'.  The park's major attraction is Khun Kon Falls.  It's a long hike the we don't intend to make (555).


Have a Thrilling Thursday.

                    Peace,
                               Danny

"Do not withhold your gift from others.
Do not make the mistake of
thinking that you have no gift to give.
Everyone has a gift.
But don't compare your gift to the gifts of others,
or you may not value it sufficiently."
~Paul Ferrini

No comments: