Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

Hi,

Today was like any other, weather wise. The lows here are like the highs in Los Angeles. Got mail from our friend Rachael, in Montana, where it was below zero. Brrr. I had a busy, productive day running around getting things done.

Seems like the 'Summer of Love' is a hit already. A lot of you remembered this song. Here's a little bit more:
"Tears are running, they're all running down your breast. And your friends, baby, they treat you like a guest. Don't you want __ __ __, don't you need __ __ __, wouldn't you love __ __ __....." Hint: It's a question, by a group named for a flying machine. Hmm.

This morning, after watering the back lawn, I went into town for various things on the list. The most important thing was a disc drive for Lisa's laptop so she can import photos and programs. The one on her computer has gone the way of planned obsolescence. I had quite a time at the tech store communicating that I needed a drive that was Mac compatible. Finally, after looking at some boxes, I found one and we were all laughing at the simplicity of my request. The crew of young people were trying really hard to understand. Then came the big question: If it doesn't work, can I bring it back? One of them went to a Google translation site and typed a message in Thai. It read 'Must be returned in original condition.' No problem. As I was paying, I heard the sound of a marching band. I'd noticed several policemen out in the street directing traffic, which is unusual. Sure enough, it was a parade coming down the street I planned to exit on, and memories of a few nights ago smacked me in the face. Just as I was about to try a U turn on a narrow street, the parade came to an end. Wonderful. The drive works fine so all is well.

This afternoon I had acupuncture, and then a trip to the 'everything' store for a large trash can. Then I went to 7-11 to pay the power bill, picked up juice at the market next door, and then home. I love the short distances between all the stops. The parking lady helped me out of my spot and into the traffic. What a treat to pay 12 cents for parking and get help on top of that.

This evening, just as we were finishing dinner, Boot announced that 'water gone'. What she meant was that the city water was off, and nothing was coming out of the faucet. This hasn't happened in a long time. That was at 6pm. It just came on at about 8:30. Not a big problem, just a minor inconvenience, but it could have been worse. It could have stayed 'gone' all night.

Tomorrow we're going to Mae Sai for our visa check-in and then to Poui and Jimmy's for lunch. The turkey dinner we were to attend on Saturday has been postponed, but we will be having our first turkey since being in Thailand next week. In the meantime, I'll just keep enjoying this beautiful life.

I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving wherever you are.

Peace,
Danny

"Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow."
~Unknown

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: