Monday, November 8, 2010

Heart

Hi,

I'm happy to report that the flu has left the building. We're both on the mend and back in the swing of things. Today we went to Big C, so we must be better.

Nobody got the 'Old School' song. What? I'm going to extend this one just to see if you're paying attention. This is sort of like a scavenger hunt. You have to go with the clue, then go somewhere else to figure it out. The clue itself is in the music portion of the November 1 message with the word 'Freedom' as the subject. Now, on with 'Easy Monday'. "I see a red door and I want it __ __. No colors any more I want them to turn __. I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes, I have to turn my head until my darkness goes..." Hint: The song title is actually three words, but the lyrics change the tense of the first word. I know, complicated. It's a song of misery, and sadness by a group from across the pond during the 60s, named after a blues tune. They're still making music after all these years.

The weekend was fairly quiet around here. Sunday afternoon I ventured out and picked up dinner at WCH (the hamburger place). While I was waiting for the order, one of the servers had me sit so I could watch the TV mounted on wall. Then he brought the remote so I could change the channel. That was a real surprise. How many places will let you mess with the TV? The weird thing is, I ordered a chicken burger and expected the giant sandwich that I'd gotten there before. When I got home it was a much smaller burger. I'll have to ask Barry about this the next time we eat there. What we had was good, just not enough. The lesson: look inside the box.

Saturday night we got to see a couple of brief volleys of fireworks that were set off somewhere to the north of us. Big colorful displays filled the air. I just figured out that all the noise makers and displays are the warm-up for the coming holiday later this month. Late November means it's time for Loy Kratong, the river festival.

Since we hadn't been to Big C for a week, the list was a bit long. We were able to restock all of our basic supplies plus a few things for the party we're having on Sunday.

Last week the last thing I could have dealt with was an acupuncture appointment. Not that they'd even want me in the room. Anyway, I went in today and got stuck. On my way home I heard happy laughter coming from somewhere. I realized it was coming from the pick-up truck I was following. It was filled with a family. There was an older woman sitting on something facing the rear, and she had a huge smile on her face. On either side were about five or six kids with small gongs, a tambourine, and wood blocks. There was also a man with a hand drum. They were playing rhythms as they rode along. The one they were playing ended and they laughed, and exchanged instruments and started a new rhythm. It was a picture of 'joy in the moment'. It made me smile.

If you happen to see anything on the news about an incident at the Thai/Burmese(Myanmar) border, it's nowhere near us. In fact, we had to look for it on a map. It's several hundred miles southwest of our location. Just thought I'd set your minds at ease. Life in Chiang Rai is the same as it ever was. Later this week I'll share the adventures we have with our house guests as we go sight-seeing in and around Chiang Rai.

Have a Great Week.

Peace,
Danny

"The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched.
They must be felt with the heart."
~Helen Keller

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: