Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday Funnies

Hi,
It's Friday in Los Angeles (or should I say Culver City) and I think the worst is over as far as the J.L. I know you're all tired of hearing me whine about it. I tried to out think it, tell myself that I was going to stay awake and induce a normal sleep pattern. I don't think it can be done. The stronger the body clock, the harder it is to alter it. After seven months in LOS, flying back to this continent and arriving on the same day I left has taken it's toll.
Nobody wrote me about the song. It was Olivia Newton-John's "I Honestly Love You". See, you knew it. For the weekend:
"Baby's into runnin' around Hanging with the crowd, putting your business in the street talking out loud. Saying you bought her this and that And how much you done spent...I wonder, wonder who put those ideas in her head..." Hint: This classic is from a Bay area artist that puts on a legendary holiday show for his local fans, has had a ton of hits, and has an unusual first name. Now that you know the lowdown on the artist, this should be easy.
Yesterday we drove over to Altadena and picked up my mom for our trip to Bangkok Blue. We had a fun time hanging out with the family (Blue, Joyce and Ming). After our great lunch and a lot of laughter, we went back to mom's, for more hangin' out and catching up. Even though we talk on the phone every week, there's nothing like being there.
Speaking of being there, when we returned to our 'vacation house', we noticed big hearts drawn in chalk, on the driveway. We followed them, like a trail of crumbs, and at the end was an invitation: "Party in August's room, fun fun fun". I had plans for the evening so I went by to see what was up. He had decorated his room with strings of lights, set up all of his DJ gear and had his various 'work' lights (strobe, blacklight, etc.) set to one remote. Of course he demonstrated the whole thing. It was brilliant. No more hitting all the switches for each light. One button and they were all on, and off.
Tomorrow I'm going to the movies with C-Bass. We're going to see the new Batman flick. Personally, I can hardly wait. The vehicles alone are enough to make me want to see the movie. The new bike looks awesome.
More Culture Shock: It dawned on me that the absence of all the motorbikes buzzing around in traffic was making the driving much easier. They tend to add a measure of tension since you never know when one might pop up beside you. At the same time, seeing big bikes on the streets has me turning my head trying to get a better look. We don't see much of that in Chiang Rai. Yesterday I bought gas for the first time. Back home, they pump the gas for you. I hadn't done it in quite a while. In addition, I hadn't been hustled by anyone for a window wash in a long time. Weird.
That's all for now. It's time for the 'Funnies', inspired by my old friend Jet Lag. Have a Summer WeekEnd.

Peace,
Danny

TOP TEN EXCUSES FOR FALLING ASLEEP AT YOUR DESK

1 "They told me at the blood bank this might happen."
2 "I wasn't sleeping, I was trying to pick up my contact lens without hands."
3 "I wasn't sleeping! I was meditating on the mission statement and envisioning a new paradigm!"
4 "Amen"
5 "This is just a 15 minute power-nap like they raved about in the last time management course you sent me to."
6 "Whew! Guess I left the top off the liquid paper"
7 "I was doing a highly specific Yoga exercise to relieve work related stress."
8 "This is one of the seven habits of highly effective people!"
9 "Boy, that cold medicine I took last night just won't wear off!"
10 "Darn! Why did you interrupt me? I had almost figured out a solution to our biggest problem."


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: