Thursday, July 25, 2019

Defenseless


Hi,

The sky in Chiang Rai looked like it was about to rain, all day.  I don’t mean plain old clouds, but big, dark, heavy-with-rain clouds.  Maybe tonight.

“They furnished off an apartment with a 2-room Roebuck sale.  The coolerator was crammed with TV dinners and ginger ale, but when Pierre found work the little money worked out well.  ‘C’est la vie’, say the old folks, ‘it goes to show __ __ __ __.”  Clue:  It was 1964 and Sears-Roebuck was still alive (5).  This song was featured in a film.  Just goes to show __ __ __ __.  The vibe of the song is in the French Quarter.

Yesterday, as we approached Chiang Rai from the air, I tried to take some photos from the middle seat.  I noticed a cloud in the distance, on the ground.  This meant it was raining there.  As you know, this happens a lot, where there is rain and then it just stops.  My first experience with this was in Hawaii and I crossed the street and the rain was gone.  I thought it was a special occurance until locals told me it happened all the time.  When we left the airport, it was raining hard.  Half-way home the streets were dry.  Here is the rain in one part of town.


This morning plans changed.  Instead of going to immigration, we went to Bangkok Hospital so Lisa could get her sore throat checked out.  When you enter a country with symptoms, you are advised to see a medical professional.  Since there are a couple of heavy viruses going around, we don’t take chances with stuff like this.  She going to be fine in a few days.  We met a new doctor, for us, who is an internist.  The last doctor was a surgeon and doesn’t deal with things like this.  While we were waiting to see her, we saw our friend Aom, who, with her husband, owns Chivit Tamma Da.  We are definitely back home.

Makro was our next stop, for a few things and then it was home.  It felt as if gravity had been increased just a little bit and our bodies were heavier than we remembered.  Hmm, that’s funny because mine is 3 pounds heavier than my normal weight. When we got home, Natcha ask me if I had been enjoying the yummy food in America.  I laughed because it was true.  It’s diet time.  Actually, if I eat like I used to, the weight will drop.  No more large portions that taste too good to stop.

Let me just say that being here, in The Big Brown House, is difficult.  There are just so many little things that seem off, until we remember why.  Tears.  Grateful for the chance to have such wonderful memories of the past 10 years.  I suppose it’s part of the adventure of life.

Have a Thrilling Thursday.

                       Peace,
                                 Danny

“We are never so defenseless 
against suffering as when we love."
~Sigmund Freud

No comments: