Friday, May 6, 2016

Friday Funnies

Hi,

We had another beautiful, hot day in Chiang Rai.  It was 82F at 8:15am so it probably exceeded the 92F forecast.  Next week we’re having another heat wave.  Oh my.

The ‘Zany Day’ song was “I Am the Walrus” by The Beatles.  ‘Old School Friday’ is here already.  This week we go way back.  “__ __ __, __ __ __, um-mm, I love the things you say.  __ __ __, __ __ __, in your own sweet gentle way.  Let me hear, tell me dear, tell me ooo-you-ooo, love me so.  __ __ __, __ __ __, tell me what I want to know.”
Clue:  This hit happened in 1958 and the singer probably said these words after he got over his fever.  It’s alright if you don’t know, but I figured you could use a challenge after this ‘easy’ week (555).

Every time we go to Makro, we pass quite a few brand new shop-houses, apartment buildings, and condos.  All of them have been empty since completion and we continue to wonder when they will be occupied.  Someone spent a lot of money building these ‘income’ properties.  There was a giant speculation that swept through the region.  It told of mass migration to the city that would be the northern hub of ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) activity.  Then things changed and business prospects became less inviting.  

When we returned from our Makro ‘run’, Gong already had a cart full of yard waste ready to go to the place he takes such things.  This afternoon he put together his device for cutting down coconuts and managed to bring some down.  The tree is very prolific and they just sit there, until they decide to drop.  That could be dangerous so we asked him to cut down the very ripe ones.  He used to work on a pineapple farm, and that got us thinking.  No, I don’t think we’ll start growing them, but it is one of our favorite fruits.  He also taught us about banana trees and how they work. 

Our afternoon swim was cut short by a little rain break.  About half way through our workout it began.  It didn’t last long, but a little rain every day is perfect.  This evening Gong, Natcha and his sister went for a swim.  The pool is getting plenty of use these days and that makes us smile.

Today’s photo was taken on the Super Highway.  What you’re seeing is a statue of The Buddha being transported.  I have tried to find out if there is a specific reason for the coverings, but all I have learned is this:  A monk usually says some prayers and then it is covered in cloth similar to a monks robe, to protect it.  


When I picked Cat up from her first day of work she was tired, but very happy.  Working with mostly young people near her age makes it pleasant and they are all treated with respect.  When I asked her about lunch, she told me they provided food for the staff.  That’s pretty cool.  

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.       Time for the ‘Funnies’.

                    Peace,
                              Danny


No comments: