Monday, May 30, 2016

Discover

Hi,

Mom Report:  Things seem to be about the same.  While there appears to be recognition, most responses to questions are ‘yes’, meaning she’s not actually understanding.  She is comfortable and that’s what’s important right now.  

The ‘Old School Friday’ song was “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King.  ‘Easy Monday’ should be a cinch:  “The best things in life are free, but you can give them to the birds and bees.  Now give me __ (that’s what I want) that’s what I want (that’s what I want).  That’s what I want, that’s what I want (that’s what I want).”  Clue:  One word, something that the singer really wants (555).

Saturday morning we had a team of eight working on my mom’s house.  It is a monumental task that we all take on with the spirit of love.  My brother and I are doing the sifting through papers, having to decide what to keep, what to throw away, and what to shred.  In the course of doing this we have discovered that our mother gave to everyone who asked for help.  We had no idea how large her circle of giving was.  My sister-in-law Sheila, Lisa, and Wendy took various parts of the house and started more ‘categories’ of stuff.  I think we overwhelmed the Goodwill.  On Sunday Cousin Eunice, and her son Albert joined the crew and we made big progress.  I realized how each family member brings a different perspective to the task and the understanding.  Over the weekend we also had lots of non-family ‘family’ who went out of their way to help the cause.  There is still a long way to go, but we have a much better idea of what to do.  

Yesterday, after spending 6 hours on the house, we drove back to Culver City and spent time with Jeff, Anna, C-Bass and August.  It’s been weird, being in town and not spending time with them.  Anna BBQ’d delicious turkey burgers and we had a family sit-down dinner.  

Today’s photo is an expanse of rice.  It brings on a feeling of peace and tranquility.


I’m not sure if Mr. Lag is still in town, or if it’s just sheer exhaustion that makes my lids feel heavy around 5pm, but it’s happening.  Wendy pointed out that sorting through papers can be very tiring.  There is a mental and physical stress involved, and in this case, some emotional stuff too.  In the course of going through the house we have uncovered many memories and treasures.  There are family photos that bring us together, along with reminders of family not with us any longer.  Whew.   

Have a Great Week.

                   Peace,
                             Danny

“The turning point in the process of
growing up is when you discover the
core of strength within you that 
survives all hurt.”
~Max Lerner

No comments: