Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Permission

Hi,

The weather in Chiang Rai was just what you expected, sunny and warm. A perfect day for running errands and taking a giant step.

Our 'Easy' song was just that for four of you right away. Oh yes, and three of you spelled the title correctly too.
"Dance to the music all night long. Everyday people, sing a simple song.... I want to __ __ __ __ __ __ __." Hint: This verse is a big clue as to who is singing the song. We all love it when we can be ourselves. Hmm.

This morning I went into town with a list of things to do. There was a stop at the pharmacy warehouse, a visit to the sprinkler store for adapters with spikes so the sprinklers stand up straight, and then the hardware stores. The first hardware store didn't have what I wanted so I went down the street to the place with the elevator. Boot's friend Jaa works there and I saw her as soon as I got out of the car. As I was leaving I noticed some guys from the store setting up a machine on the sidewalk. They were pouring raw rice into a bin on top. My curiosity got the better of me so I hung around to see what was going to happen. They adjusted some knobs and turned the thing on. The husks of the rice started coming out of one side, and rice kernels poured into a bucket on the other. The two women who were auditioning the machine held samples in their hands, examined it and smiled. Now I know what that looks like. It's a long way from the original way of doing things.

My next stop was the big stationary store for some large, white, plastic boards (think: plastic cardboard) that Lisa uses to mount her art when it's finished. Since we got the polyethylene cut into some big sizes, she needs bigger backing. They had two huge pieces that I bought. I knew they wouldn't fit in the car so I made an attempt to bend them. The girl at the check out took me and the boards to the rear of the store where a guy rolled them on a table that turned out to be a machine that puts a fiber strap around things. It was amazing how it worked. All I had to do was move the passenger seat and maneuver the roll into the car. You never know when technology will save the day.

The last stop was at the little market for pepper. I had parked close to a truck that has intrigued me for some time. It's a pick-up with a shell that looks like the roof of a Thai house. I used to think it was a coffee truck, but today I discovered that it's a rolling kitchen. More than a lunch wagon, they cook fresh food, and set up tables on the sidewalk so you can sit down and eat. They were just packing things up while I was watching. Very efficient.

Late this afternoon I went back to town for the 'big step' I spoke of. I got a small tattoo on the inside of my left wrist. It's in Thai and it means 'Gratitude'. I got the idea from our friends from The Sold Project. Something meaningful that is a discrete reminder. To Thais there are different interpretations, but it still comes out basically the same. The tattoo artist, Aoy, understood why I got it. What's really important is that I understand why I got it.
The funny part is that I was all prepared to go through some incredible pain, but it really didn't hurt that much. Hmm, that may not be a good thing. (555)

One last driving note. As I approached a green light with a countdown display I knew I'd make it. It read 8, but then it read 9, and then changed to 4. Amazing Thailand. I made the light anyway.

Have a Happy Tuesday.

Peace,
Danny

"We come equipped with everything we need to experience a
powerful life full of joy, incredible passion, and profound peace.
The difficult part is giving ourselves permission to live it."
~Deborah Rosado Shaw

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: