Thursday, December 30, 2010

Flow

Hi,

Today we'll finish up with Tuesday's activities, and dive into Wednesday in Palo Alto and San Jose. Day two of Chinese food, and I get an x-ray.

The 'Summer of Love' is still alive. Maybe this opening verse will bring back memories for those still wondering.
"There's something happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear. There's a man with a gun over there, telling me I got to beware. I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down." Clue: The song is describing a demonstration. The first word in the groups name is a prairie animal. Hmm.

Tuesday evening we went to dinner with Joe and Eva, Eva's grand-daughter Taima, and her daughter Nasira. We met at their favorite Chinese restaurant in Palo Alto. The menu looked amazing and we all ordered too much food. There was catching up, stories, and getting to know more about Taima's life. It was something to be at the table with all those generations. Taima's mom is Karen Jo, who came to Thailand recently. After dinner we went to Joe and Eva's house for a little more conversation and then went to our hotel.

Our hotel was hosting a Lacrosse camp. That meant it was full of high school girls who were very excited to be on a 'road trip'. There were a few times when the noise level felt like the party was in the hall outside our door. It didn't last long and we crashed after the busy day.

Wednesday morning we picked up Joe and went to breakfast. It's kind of a tradition now, and always a pleasure. After breakfast we walked across the street to his favorite art supply store where Lisa got a few things to take back to Thailand. It's like being in a candy store. There were so many neat things in the place that my mom and I got some project ideas of our own. (Ha)

Back at the house, we spent time in Joe's studio. He showed us his latest work, we studied the paper sculptures from his recent show, and some new techniques were shared. He also gave Lisa two of his cast acrylic prints to take back and include in her show in February. At the suggestion of Sampong, who co-operates 9 Art Gallery with his wife, there will be a display showing the 'roots' of Lisa's work. It's a great idea.

From Palo Alto we traveled south to San Jose for lunch with the Athas family. Bill, Rochelle, and Coco have been a part of our northern adventures since they began. This time we lunched at Taiwan Restaurant in the community of Willow Park. Once again, the menu didn't explain the amount of food that would come with each order. Lisa and my mom ordered a soup dish, and got enough food in one order for the three of us. Nothing like abundance. The family wanted to show us their new house, so we followed them to a nearby neighborhood and got a tour of a beautiful Spanish style 'hacienda' that was full of wonderful touches. Coco gave us the grand tour of the rooms, and was very proud to show off her room. We left with directions to a gas station, and the airport. Just enough time to fill up and make it for check-in.

When I arrived at the security check, I did all the things I know to do and walked into the metal detector. A TSA woman instructed me to stand on what I thought was a line. What she really wanted me to do was stand on two footprints that were pointing to the left of the booth. Then she told me to raise my arms above my head. At that point I knew I was about to experience the x-ray machine. It was the only line that had the machine and I had to pick it. After standing there for a moment I was told to stand on two more footprints just outside the booth. A man just stood there and looked me up and down in a very suspicious manner, asked me "How you doin'", waited a moment and then released me. What? How am I doin'? I was fine until now. I'm nervous, paranoid, and about to get hysterical. That's how I'm doin'. (555) I put on my shoes, repacked my stuff and headed to the gate. That about wraps up the days adventure.

Tomorrow we go to Universal Studios with Jeff, Anna, and August. Have a Thrilling Thursday.

Peace,
Danny

"If you can't fight
and you can't flee......
flow."
~Unknown

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: