Friday, October 29, 2010

Friday Funnies

Hi,

The morning in Chiang Rai started out looking like it might rain, but it turned into another great day. There was early shopping, and early lunch, and a late flight. Read on.

Just in case you haven't figured it out, the 'Old Folk Crap' song was "Lemon Tree" as sung by Peter, Paul & Mary. And now for some 'Old School Friday: "__ __ __ she built fit, she got everything that Uncle John need oh baby..." Clues: Three words that are a descriptive nickname for a certain person. It rhymes with alley, and it's sung by a man who often claims he invented Rock & Roll, and taught the Beatles everything they know. Hmm.

This morning, while thinking about packing for my trip it occurred to us that the suitcase I'd be using was too small. That meant a trip to Big C for a medium size, hard-shell case. During our travels we've come to the conclusion that the new style suitcases with latches are much better than canvas with zippers. A few more stops and it was time to pack. We told Boot that we'd eat early since I had to be at the airport a little after 12noon. She misunderstood and we got called to lunch at 10:30. No problem, we were both hungry and the 'brunch' was delicious.

When I went to check in at the airport the computers were down so all the boarding passes had to be done by hand. The lines were long but it worked out. When I went into the waiting room, I noticed that the plane we'd be taking to Bangkok was not on the tarmac. Our airport is such a laid back place that usually only two planes there at the same time. Finally I heard the call that the flight was arriving, which meant we'd have to wait until they emptied the plane, and spruced it up. Once we were airborne the view was incredible. I had a window seat in front of the wing and flying above the 'weather' looked like a softer version of Alaska, complete with puffy glaciers. Fortunately, the small child with the xylophone got sleepy not long after take-off.

The contrast of leaving the airport in Chiang Rai and arriving in Bangkok is quite dramatic. So much going on, so many airplanes, so many people. After I got my bag I proceeded to the taxi stand. I got an older gentleman who spoke very good English and we had some pleasant conversations. He told me that Fridays were the worst day for traffic. It took about one hour and twenty minutes to get to my hotel. On the way I saw a giant billboard for 'The Long Beach Love Boat Club'. Thought you'd want to know. It cracked me up.

After an early dinner at the hotel I set out for Pantip Plaza. I took the Skytrain to the Chit Lom exit, and walked for a long time. I finally got there and encountered sensory overload. The place was chaotic, with music, P.A. announcements, and the sounds of people hawking their wares. I managed to get everything on the list, and even found a travel iron. I mention that because the hotels in Thailand don't have irons in the rooms. You can't even get one from housekeeping. Some of them post notices about the dangers of irons. Oh, now we're going to get safety conscious. Hmm. Something must have happened a long time ago. After my wild shopping trip, I knew I'd never make it back to the hotel with all the boxes and bags so I got a Tuk-Tuk. I haven't been in one of those in a long time. What fun? Racing through the traffic, ducking down alleys, and enjoying every minute of it. Bangkok on a Friday night is something to behold.

I'll leave you now with the 'Funnies'. Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.

Peace,
Danny

What ever happened to Proof Reading?

Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers

Miners Refuse to Work after Death

Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant

War Dims Hope for Peace

If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last Awhile

Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures

Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges

Man Struck By Lightning: Faces Battery Charge

Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft

Kids Make Nutritious Snacks

Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half

Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: