Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday Funnies

Hi,

We had a beautiful day here in Chiang Rai. Sunny with passing clouds. Today I went on a road trip. Tonight we go to an art exhibition. Updates on Monday.

The 'Old Folk Crap' song was "House of the Rising Sun", as sung by any number of people. Most of you thought it was by The Animals, but they were 'late to the show', since the first recording was in 1920 by Texas Alexander. The house was a brothel named after Madame Marianne LeSoleil Levant (which means Rising Sun in French). Many artists have recorded the song, but Nina Simone's was the one that The Animals first heard. Now you know. Big thanks to my friend Barry for the history lesson/research. For 'Old School Friday' see if you remember this one:
"Ha, ha, ha, ha. Oh you sweet thing. Do I what? Will I what? Oh baby you know what I like. __ __ and a pretty face, and a pony tail hanging down..." Hint: It's from the late 50s, and the title in two words is kinda frilly. This singer was 'Big' but his career ended too soon.

This morning I drove north to the base of Doi Tung (Flag mountain), which is a 40 minute drive. A friend of mine from Chiang Mai was there and wanted to meet for coffee. He and his wife were staying at a mini-resort owned by his wife's sister. We sat in a cozy shaded area with lots of plants and talked of many things. I commented on how quiet it was, and he told me that the night before there were about 250 tourists in the yard, having a party. The whole area is dotted with what look like bungalow motels. Doi Tung is a visitor destination since it's where the home and gardens of the late Princess Mother are located. I'll have more to tell you about her next week. The drive was well worth the effort, and now I know about an area that was previously just a turn-off on the highway. I also drove past the starting line for the big bicycle race.

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd. Time for something 'Funny'.

Peace,
Danny

"To all my friends and relatives who have sent me best 'wishes', chain letters, 'angel' letters or other promises of good luck: None of the Stuff Worked!

Could you please just send cash, chocolate, pizza, or airline tickets instead? Thank you!"


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: