Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Round

Hi.

It looks like the rainy season has arrived. It rained last night, and again today. The pool is cooling. We bounced around town today, and tonight we get a massage.

The 'Easy' song was "Hotel California" by The Eagles. There really is a Hotel California. I'll bet there's a story there. Our mid-week song is one of my all-time favorites. I think we all know at least one of these. Maybe more.
"I support the left, though I'm leanin', leanin' to the right. I support the left, though I'm leanin' to the right. But I'm just not there when it comes to a fight." Hint: It's a blues, by a trio, and it's pretty clear who it's about. Hmm.

Our recent investment of rain gutters and the canopy are already paying off. Rain stays outside, and we don't have to worry about our shoes that sit outside the door getting wet. We noticed that the river is up a bit, and I'm sure the long-tail boat drivers are happy about that.

With all the rain, comes the cooling of the pool. The rain isn't cold, but it brought the pool down from 92F to 86F in a few storms. That's about our comfortable low temp for swimming. We've gone from walking into spa type water to involuntary shuddering from the cold. This year I won't complain too much. We've done a lot of swimming and I'm grateful. Maybe I can get used to a few degrees colder. (Ha)

One of the stops we made today was at the Hill Tribe store. There were four women sitting near the back of the store around a desk, and they were all doing intricate cross-stitching. When I think about all the beautiful patterns, garments, bags, etc. that are on display I will keep that image in my mind. It takes hours of work to create a few inches of needle work. Hmm.

When we see Thai words in English, it may or may not be the correct translation. Many common words are spelled many different ways when presented for our consumption. Market is seen as 'Talat' or 'Talad'. The universal greeting can be: Sawatdee, Sawasdee, or Sawadee, depending on who wrote it down. It starts with the ear, and how these words are heard. I suppose many years ago there were Westerners who heard these words, wrote them down, and that writing was adapted by Thais. It's all a bit fascinating, and sometimes confusing. Amazing Thailand.

It's time for Wacky Wednesday.

Peace,
Danny

"The world is round, and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning."
~Ivy Baker Priest

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: