Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Light

Hi,
This was a day on the town. 'East side, west side, all around the town...' (to quote an old song. Oh, and we also spent time in the middle.
I'm suspecting that all the usual suspects have already weighed in on this song. In case you can't nail it, here's some more:
"I-I and I, wanna spread the news, that if it feels this good getting used, oh, you just keep on __ __ Until you __ __up."
Hint: The big hint is, I've practically handed you the song. Get it?
The August Chronicles: It's been awhile since we looked in on our resident 'renaissance boy'. His third grade class was given an assignment to do a report on the Solar System. August decided he wanted to do a video. The family held some concept meetings and then August and his Dad (Jeff) went to work. Every night for two weeks, they worked on the production. I invite you to go to YouTube and experience the results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCmCQW4DRDc
This morning we went to the central market to look for some gift ideas for a little boy, find a basket, and browse. We got everything we went for, and a little more. The place is always amazing. Just the sheer variety and density of merchandise, not to mention the food. There are still smells that I have trouble with, but they're not actual food smells. The smell of burning oil is very unsettling to me. Anyway, we left the market and went home for lunch.
After lunch, we realized that we really needed more ink for the printer and vitamins for BamBam. After our coffee we went to the vets and then over to Big C. It was a relatively quick and easy trip, mainly because we only needed a few things and they were both on the same end of the store. In and out.
We've been expecting a box that Ten was sending from Chiang Mai, with the silk-screening and the material for our bags. It hadn't arrived so I decided we should drive up the highway to Ban Du and visit the P.O. Boot and BamBam went with us, which added to the adventure. I didn't know it, but we got to the place just before closing. I explained what we were looking for and gave them our address. After a long wait, the clerk came up and invited Boot and me to come to the back and get the package. I signed for it and as we were leaving, he explained that it was sent to the wrong post office first. Comforting to know that it happens all over the world.
On the way back from Ban Du, Lisa called Gan (the woman who sews the bags) and asked her if we could drop off the material so she could make a few before we leave town. Arrangements were made, we stopped by the house and off we went to the west of town. Actually, it's past that, really in the country. We'll pick up our samples on Thursday afternoon. It's all coming together. Oh yeah, the new silk screens of Lisa's work are much better than the first run. Can't wait to show you the finished product.
Yesterday I mentioned that I had reflections from the dinner the other night that I'd share. Basically, we had long discussions that revolved around the constant contrast we are exposed to on a daily basis. As Ruud put it, "Like living in different time periods, all in the same day." Jane and Ruud told us of their adventures in getting Thai driver's licenses. Did you know that they use a touch screen testing device? I wonder if I could get my Thai license and then apply for an international one as a visitor to the U.S.? Hmm, still trying to get out of taking the Cali test.
I think it's time for a Happy Tuesday.

Peace,
Danny

"A little light in a dark room is still a great illumination."
~Ernest Holmes


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

www.risingstardom.com

No comments: