Friday, December 19, 2008

Friday Not So Funnies

Hi,
we had a nice flight to Bangkok this morning, after long good-byes with BamBam and a brief one at the airport with Boot. This message will be brief. I'm having to write it in the lobby of the hotel on their P.C. with an H.P. Thai/English keyboard.
The most recent song was "Laughter In The Rain" by Neil Sedaka. The man could write a song. For the weekend, see if you know this one: I'm up on a tightwire, one side's ice, the other is fire. It's a circus game with you and me. I'm up on a ___"
Clue: This singer/writer/performer is masquerading as a circus act in this song. Maybe he knows Walenda. Hmm.
So, we went to three different malls today. The Esplanade was first. It was very nice. A modern affair that had a bookstore we hunted down because they had a line of maps we wanted. There was an interesting shop that could have been transplanted from Venice Beach. It was called NYLA and it had skateboard videos playing, a row of chopper type beach cruiser bikes, and different lines of clothing. Kind of a surf/goth place. Very cool anyway.
We wanted to take the train to Siam Plaza and we started asking for directions. While having coffee, we asked one of the servers who spoke English. She turned and asked one of the other customers. The young woman spoke very good English and was very helpful. She even wrote down the stops we needed to watch for.
When we got to the station we started asking more questions and we met Olive. The short version is, she took us to another mall I'd read about. It's called MBK and it's seven stories of whatever you need and don't need. One entire floor devoted to phones and accessories. There must have been over 100 phone shops. It was incredible. We managed to maintain some discipline and not buy too much. In fact, I don't think I bought anything. Oh, but wait until we return without travel/weight restrictions. I'll tell you more about our guide Olive next week.
I'm afraid you'll have to wait until I hit Taipei to get your dose of Funny this week. I knew the day would come when I'd be tossed out into the world, naked without my laptop.
Look at it this way, you get extra mail from me this week. Doesn't that just put you in the Holiday Spirit? (5555) Got to go. Overdosing on badly produced copies of Christmas music. All day has been quite enough. Must retreat to the seclusion of the room.
Have a Warm WeekEnd. See you soon.

Peace,
Danny

(This is where you're supposed to laugh)

No comments: