Friday, July 26, 2013

Friday Funnies


Hi,

It's Friday night in Chiang Rai.  The power is out and we're sitting in the dim light of our laptops and a little LED light tower.  Daku is snoozing and BamBam is a little nervous.  Nothing to do but to wait for the power to return, and keep writing.

Our 'Zany Day' song was "Mama Told Me Not To Come", as recorded by Three Dog Night.   For 'Old School Friday' it's an easy one this week.  I expect to get lots of mail.  (555)  "It's gettin' near dawn, when lights close their tired eyes.  I'll soon be with you my love, to give you my dawn surprise.  I'll be with you darling soon, I'll be with you when the stars are falling.  I've been waiting so long, to be where I'm going, in the __ __ __ __. "  Hint:  Recorded by what may have been the first 'Power Trio', named after something that rises to the top.  Hmm, so easy.

This morning felt like rain, but it never happened.  We ended up with a very bright morning.  The dogs played on the lawn until it got too hot.  Our morning expedition into town required that I chart a course in my mind in order to get to the stores we needed.  Fortunately, most of our stops were around the same area.  At the Healthy Market I did my usual thing with 'Fish Guy'.  I walk up near his station, hold up two fingers, he says 'Song', I say 'Song' and a deal has been made.  'Song' means the number 'Two' in Thai.  A few minutes later, after we've finished most of the shopping, I go back and get the cleaned fish.  

While Lisa was in the pet supply store I sat in the car and watched a car carrier pull up with eight Suzuki Swifts on board.  Watching the guy park this giant thing was fascinating.  He moved the giant rig and trailer over to the curb like it was a small van.  I only wish I could have watched them unload the cars.  Some things never get old.

We made a coffee stop at Doi Chaang. The place was empty when we arrived.  While we had our coffee we read The Nation, a daily English language paper in Thailand.  So many things to know about, even if it's a day old.  Looking at newspapers online is not the same as the real thing.  Here in Thailand they will not disappear soon, since most people don't read their news from the internet.  After coffee we walked over to the bakery where we had a chance to hang out with Jonathan, our English Retriever friend.  He's almost 11 years old, and he may not be as spry as he used to be, but he still remembers people and does his thing as ambassador for the shop.  

While we were hanging around at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), I noticed another magical ice-cream display.  It's Friday, who wants some Blue Candy ice-cream?


We've been back for over a week, but we still haven't returned to normal.  We keep waking up in the middle of the night.  What's weird is that we don't get that urge to crash in the afternoon.  

Well, the power just came back on.  That means I can send this from home.  There have been times when I had to drive down to Doi Chaang Coffee and send my message from there.  I am reminded of our first trip in 2001, before we had laptops and smart phones.  We wrote everything down in a notebook and when we returned to the US, this daily message began.  Hmm.

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.    Stay tuned for a laugh and be aware that this is a Formula One weekend.  Zoom.

                    Peace,
                               Danny


No comments: