Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Things


Hi,

It's Thursday morning here in Taipei.  We have a few hours before we board another plane and fly to Bangkok.  The time is 7am and we've missed a whole day.  Couldn't get an internet connection at LAX so this is the next best thing.
   
The 'Easy Monday' song was "Monday Monday" by The Mamas and Papas.  My brain is not in the mood to find a tune for 'Bad Ass Bass' day so I'm making it a 'Dealer's Choice'.  We've messed with this song before, and I guess the bass line is pretty cool:  "He came from somewhere back in her long ago, the sentimental fool don't see, tryin' hard to recreate what had yet to be created, once in her life..."  Hint: It's by a group with a name that shows dubious judgement, in my opinion, but it didn't hurt them in the long run.  Based on the success of this song, they would have been foolish to change it.  (555)

We had a really nice evening with the The Family before leaving.  When we got to the car rental place things started getting weird.  The shuttle takes you to the terminal you're flying from and the driver didn't ask us where we were going.  As the bus pulled up to the International terminal I got up to tell him we needed to stop at EVA.  We were in the right place so I started pulling our big, overweight bags from the rack.  We went to the check-in counter, got an upgrade to 'business class' and were about go to the security line when I realized I'd left my carry-on bag on the bus.  Oh my, panic then calm logic.  I ran outside and straight to a Hertz bus.  The driver radioed the bus we had been on and they had the bag.  I had to run down the escalator to the lower level, get the bag and then dash back upstairs.  Whew.  

We breezed through the TSA business and went to the EVA lounge.  I had phone calls to make and a message to write, but none of the internet connections were cooperating.  A man sitting next to us had the same problems with the WiFi.  I guess I was supposed to just sit and relax.  After all, I was about to sit and relax for 13 hours.  I had to prepare.  (Ha)

                   Night Time in Business Class

One of the nice things about our 'cabin upgrade' is the menu.  There are interesting choices for the meals, and there are snacks anytime you want one.  We stayed with the meals that we could identify and relate to, like chicken with mashed potatoes and spring vegetables.  We skipped the Star Special of Japanese Jelly Fish Salad.  For breakfast we could have had Fermented Bean Curd, Three Color Egg, or Braised Gluten, but went for a more Western collection that was still a little odd.  As we walked away from the airplane we both commented on how much easier the trip seems with more leg room, a larger chair and attentive service.  Oh, for more miles.

We will finally arrive in Chiang Rai at 5:10pm on Thursday (local time)  It's almost a relief to get back to relating to time from the other direction.  When I write this message, from Thailand, I can tell you about the day I just lived knowing you will be reading it on the same day, your time.  When in America I have to change the tenses and relate to certain things in a different time and it hurts my brain.  

In a few days things will be back to normal, whatever that is.  We have a few days of appointments with Mr. Lag, but that will not last forever.

It's been a Wacky Day.

                   Peace,
                              Danny

"The best things in life 
are not things."

No comments: