Monday, May 21, 2012

Beginning


Hi,

The word from Chiang Rai is rain.  Here in California it's cool nights and mornings and sunny days that are almost warm.
Saturday was truly a day to remember, and Sunday we recuperated.  

The 'Old School' song was "Heartbreak Hotel" by Elvis.  'Easy Monday' should bring back a few memories.  Even if there are no memories, it's one you should know:  "Baby, baby I'm aware of where you go each time you leave my door.  I watch you walk down the street, knowing your other love you'll meet.  But this time, before you run to her leaving me alone and hurt (think it over)  After I've been good to you, (think it over)  after I've been sweet to you.  __! __ __ __ __ __ before you break my heart...."  Hint:  Three 'girls' from the motor city who rocked the world. 

Saturday was the big day of celebration.  It began in early afternoon with a family reunion in honor of my mother's 90th birthday.  There were cousins from Oakland, San Diego, San Bernardino, and the local area.  Someone pointed out that there were possibly five generations present.  I didn't know some of my younger cousins since we haven't had such a gathering in many years.  We would get the news of a birth, but never met the baby until they were grown up.  My mother was delighted with the whole thing.  So much so that she even allowed her picture to be taken.  There were little ones swimming in the pool, stories being told and the family tree research by Cousin Conley got lots of discussion.  It was a wonderful afternoon full of love and new connections.

        The Honoree: Regenia (Jean) Payne Moses

My brother Denny and his wife Sheila drove my mom from Altadena to L.A. for the family party.  They left early to set up at the church in Pasadena where the evening celebration was to be held.  Lisa and I took my mom back to Altadena and we all changed for the evening.  When we arrived at the church, many guests were already there.  The room was arranged with round tables and seating for 80.  By the time it was over we had exceeded that.  The turnout was amazing.  Denny and I MC'd the proceedings and guests were invited to share how my mother had touched their lives.  It was a virtual 'Love Fest'.  We heard many stories of how she was a role model to so many in the community, the many ways she has been of service through the years not only as a teacher/administrator with the school system, but as a friend.  One of the 'speakers' was a former student who has been my mother's hair dresser for many years.  A dear friend of the family remembered meeting my mother in 1939.  He also let us know he was older that she is, which brought down the house.  I saw people I haven't seen in over 35 or 40 years.  Many of the cousins came to the evening party and I think my mom was very proud to have them present for her 'community' friends to see the family she's so proud of.  Our friend Blue took photos and from the preview he sent, he got some moving candids and portraits of the evening.  Denny made a slide-show of photos collected from various family members and it was a highlight of the evening.  After all the festivities, the guests couldn't wait to get their hands on the beautiful cake created by 
The Cake Divas.  Yum.

Sunday we were drained.  The day took a lot of physical and emotional energy, but it was well worth it.  We now move into our second full week on the continent.  There will be meetings, a breakfast, lunches, dinners and a graduation ceremony.  

Have a Great Week.

                      Peace,
                                 Danny

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished.
That will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour

No comments: