Thursday, May 24, 2012

Light


Hi,

It really was a 'Wacky Wednesday'.  So many things happened that it's hard to keep up.  In the midst of it all, I continue to see new sights in and around town.

So far no one has responded to the 'Bad Ass Bass' tune.  It's a tune about a product that can out-dance Barbie.
"I'm a boogie woogie baby, if you wanna see me boogie, all you gotta do is wind me up.  Baby, don't let him cry.  Don't let that big boy cry.  __ here!  Wind me up!  You got to wind me up.  Won't you?  Wind me up..."  Hint:  If you don't know this one, hints won't help. 

First thing in the morning we went to the pet supply store.  We had to shop for our dogs.  We also picked up a toy for Sutheera's little dogs, and some catnip toys for Chalit's mom's cat.  Pets are big in Thailand.  I guess they're big everywhere.  Going to the supply store here is very interesting.  There are so many amazing products for dogs and cats and their owners.  It made me wonder: Who sits and thinks up some of this stuff?  I also wondered who could afford some of it.  Hmm.  

I used to love to cruise the magazine rack at most book stores.  These days there are not many book stores left.  Today we went to one and while there was a healthy display of magazines, I couldn't bring myself to pay what they were asking.  Some of the things the mags that interested me cost more than a book.  What?  Oh well, just have to learn about things on the internet.  Speaking of that, the L.A. Times has been a source of information for us living 8,000 miles away.  Now they want a subscription fee to read articles online.  

After a few more stops we went to the Marina.  Lisa met with our friend Melissa, a close associate for over 15 years.  I returned to the house to help C-Bass with his online registration at Santa Monica College.  What a wonderful thing to be able to register for school without standing in long lines.  

Mid-afternoon I returned to the Marina to pick Lisa up from her 'tour'.  She had lunch with her former boss, and hung out with friends.  Our next stop was the surfboard shop to get a wetsuit for Lisa.  She found one, and that means that we can both swim, even when the pool is cold.  

Driving around, I've been noticing a lot more small, two-wheeled vehicles.  They remind me of Thailand, with its huge population of motorbikes.  And then there are the Smart cars.  I imagine that it probably takes a bit of adjusting to drive around in a tiny little car with little or no protection.  Maybe there's something I don't know.  

      A Retro Honda with Coordinated Color Scheme in Chiang Rai

The amount of building going on has also captured my interest.  Very large housing projects are happening all over town, and there seems to be a giant parking structure as well.  The big difference between building in America  and Thailand is zoning and placement.  While here there are ordinances that prescribe how close one can build to the street, it is routine to see buildings in Thailand built right up to the edge of the road.  On many streets in Chiang Rai, there is no room to widen the street to increase the traffic flow.  Shop houses are built right up to the edge of the road, sometimes not even leaving room for a sidewalk.  It also leaves no room for high-priced parking meters.  Hmm.

Have a Thrilling Thursday.

                      Peace,
                                 Danny

"Nothing can dim the light which shines from within."
~Maya Angelou

No comments: