Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Funnies


Hi,

After an evening of light rain, Chiang Rai had a mostly sunny day.  Two more days and we fly to America.  Time to get packing. 

Only a few people knew that the 'Bad Ass Bass' song was "Roundabout" by Yes.  Hmm, now you know.  It's time for 'Old School Friday' and this should bring a flood of mail:  "I had a girl, __ was her name.  Since she left me, I've never been the same.  'Cause I love my girl, __ where can you be?  Where can you be?"  Hint:  It reached #2 on the Pop charts in 1958, and the song really was about his girlfriend.  Oh, the one word title is her name.  This is an easy one.

This morning we went to Makro for some last minute supplies before we leave town.  As we were leaving we saw a giant garbage truck.  We usually only see small trucks that are basically like a water tanker with an opening for trash.  This was a big city truck, complete with three guys sitting on top, sorting through some trash.  There is something a little unsettling about people sitting on top of trucks while they move down the highway.  

This afternoon I drove out to New Life Foundation.  Every week I notice the progress on different building sites and the signs of more projects.  The area east of Chiang Rai is developing rapidly.  There are still plenty of rice fields and open spaces so it doesn't feel like it's going to fill in soon.  From the looks of things, hauling dirt to fill in sunken lots is big business.

By mid-afternoon the sky was looking like it always looks lately: threatening rain.  We made a dash for the pool and got our swimming in and then kept an eye on the sky.  We had plans to go to the Night Bazaar and rain would spoil that.  After dinner things looked better so we went downtown.  Everyone at the Night Bazaar was putting up plastic over their tables just in case.

  I snapped this photo in Robinson.  Notice anything unusual?

Those little flying ant things that I told you about are a delicacy here.  People collect them, fry them up and eat them.  Oh my.  

Yesterday we bought new toothbrushes.  It struck me as odd that they are called a 'toothbrush' but they actually brush teeth.  Why aren't they called 'teethbrushes'?  I'm just sayin'.

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.    Time for a 'Funny'.

                   Peace,
                              Danny

The Auction

At an auction, the man's eye caught sight of the most beautiful parrot he had ever seen.  Determined to have the bird, he began bidding.  Each time he bid, someone out-bid him.  Higher and higher the bidding went until finally, he won the bird.

As he was paying the auctioneer for the parrot, he commented, "I certainly hope this parrot can talk.  After what I'm paying for him, I would hate to find that he can't."

"Talk? Don't worry sir, he can talk," replied the auctioneer.  "Who do you think kept bidding against you?"

No comments: