Thursday, July 21, 2011

Reasons

Hi,

Today was a perfect day to be in Pescadero. The weather was warm, the sky was clear, and a light breeze kept it from getting too hot. We went to the beach, toured the 'grounds', and I went for a special ride.

This 'Summer of Love' song didn't get by a few of you, and there's still time to send in your answer. Sing along:
"There's nothing you can make that can't be made. No one you can save that can't be saved. Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time. It's easy. __ __ __ __ __ (repeat) Hint: Four lads from across the pond getting deep about the nature of things.

Last night we got another good night's sleep. You could probably tell by the lateness of my message delivery. I tried to do it the night before but I was just too exhausted. After breakfast we got a tour of the house conducted by Coco. Then we went outside and walked/hiked around most of the 7 acres of property. There are beautiful, old trees, gardens, and even a old barn. The whole thing is on a hillside, so there are various levels for each attraction.
From most locations we could see the ocean, in the distance, between the trees. Ruffy went along with us and in what they call 'the field,' she played fetch with a pinecone. Doggie fun.

After our tour we went to the beach. This meant getting in the car, driving down the driveway to the highway, going up the road for less than a mile, and parking. Coco picked the spot where we would make camp. She dug a hole while we talked about the beaches and the efforts to keep the area from becoming developed. Then we walked up the beach to the tide pools and looked for sea life. Coco discovered a crab, a small fish, and a green anemone. We watched some small kids who were in a surf camp. They all had on little wetsuits and were learning how to ride boogie-boards. Dogs are permitted on leashes, but some people let them run free. It wasn't too crowded while we were there, and it was very pleasant. We relaxed in the sun and went home for lunch.

With no phone service and spotty internet it was a great afternoon for just hanging out and then napping. This evening we met Bill for dinner at Duarte's Tavern in the heart of Pescadero . It's a tiny community with the feel of another era. Bill took Lisa and me into the back of the restaurant so we could see the bar. We peaked in and looked around. As we left Bill just whispered, "Authentic". It reminded me of 'Northern Exposure'. We had a very good dinner. Then it was time to leave.

Bill had come back to Pescadero with his 'other car', which we didn't know about. He asked who wanted to ride back to the house with him and it turned out to be me. When we went outside I was looking for his older, BMW coupe. There weren't many cars on the street and then I heard the chirp of an alarm and saw the flash of lights on an Audi Quattro sitting across from us. "Is that yours?" I asked. "Yep". That began a series of ooohs, aahs from me. This car basically is a Lamborgini V8 drivetrain with an Audi body. The first thing I noticed as I sat in the seat was that it was low to the ground. Real low. Bill slowly pulled out onto the small two-lane road and halfway through his turn he hit the gas. The car just turned the corner in a blink and then the back of the seat felt like I was being shot from something. Everything to the side was a blur. A car pulled over, he honked 'Thank you', and we were gone. I later found out the car was Rachelle, Lisa, and Coco. I knew what was coming next as we turned onto Bean Hollow Rd. It's a winding semi-mountain road that leads to the coast. We zipped around turns like we were riding in a go-cart. The engine is right behind the seats and the whine of the 4.2 Litre V8 was music to my ears. Once I was able to lose the fear of flying off the road, it was fun. Then we rolled to a stop and he asked if I'd like to drive. Without hesitation I confirmed that I wanted to fly. I didn't put it to any test, but I did feel it push me down the highway. A new thing has been added to my 'wish list'. Hmm.

Tomorrow morning we drive back to Palo Alto for our traditional breakfast with Joe, and then a tour of his studio. It's a chance for Lisa to spend some quality time talking about art and life with her dad. We also get to see his new work and marvel at the new ideas he always comes up with. After the studio visit we'll return to the airport and fly back to LAX.

Have a Thrilling Thursday.

Peace,
Danny

"Some men have thousands of reasons why they cannot
do what they want to,
when all they need is one reason why they can."
~Willis Whitney

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: