Wednesday, July 14, 2010



We're in day two of our Northern adventure. Tuesday was a gas, and today looks like more of the same. We got a big surprise on our arrival, and another at lunch. Today we dine at Apple. Hmm, wonder what they're serving?

The 'Easy' song was "Sitting By The Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding. That song got one of the biggest responses.
"Up on the hill people never stare, they just don't care. Chinese music under banyan trees, here at the dude ranch above the sea. __ , when all your dime dancin' is through I run to you." Hint: This mysterious song is obviously about a woman. Clues to the woman's name tomorrow.

Tuesday morning was charmed. We got to the airport with time to spare. There was no line at the baggage check-in, and we breezed through security. When we arrived at the San Jose airport, we found that they had finished work on the car rental building. No more sitting on a bus stop, and then driving to the car lot. It's all across the street from the terminal. On the second floor we found the board with my name on it, and the stall number with our car. As we turned the corner to the aisle I joked that I'd be happy with the little Cadillac coupe. When we got to our car it was a Cadillac DTS. We did a double take just to make sure we had the right space. As we left the garage we realized that this was going to be a special two days. The car is amazing in so many ways. Lisa figured out the dual air controls without the help of the manual. It felt like we were riding in a capsule as we floated down the highway. Then we discovered the radio. We've never experienced Sirius/XM radio before. It was tuned to a jazz station. Then we listened to several others. It's a far cry from the Nissan we're driving in L.A. OK, I'll stop gushing now.

The Cousin's lunch was a wonderful experience. We got to the restaurant close to the appointed time, and cousins were arriving. Trudye was the first one there, then Eunice, DeeDee, Albert, and Rochelle. We had just settled down at the table when Ming came through the door. We had invited him since he's spending the summer in Berkley. The surprise came when Blue followed him through the door. It was a feast of food, conversation, and laughter.

After lunch we drove south to Palo Alto to find our hotel. It turns out that it's a motel, but since it's just for one night, it's OK. The room is tiny, it's a little odd, but it's somewhere to spend the night. We relaxed for a while, and got ready for dinner.

Since we were driving a 'big car', we drove the dinner party to the Chinese restaurant that's one of Joe and Eva's favorites. The food was very good, the conversation stimulating, and it was fun telling Karen Jo about the things she and her friends would be doing on their visit to Thailand in October. After dinner we went back to their house and looked at pictures of our house.

This morning we'll go to breakfast with Joe, and then spend time in his art studio. He's preparing for a show of his paper sculptures. Then we'll drive down to Cupertino, and have lunch with the Athas family in the Apple dining room. Our last visit with them was a year ago and it was brief. This will be a treat on several levels.

It feels like a Wacky Wednesday.


"Though we travel the world to find the beautiful,
we must carry it within us or we will find it not."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

No comments: