Monday, July 12, 2010

Dance

Hi,

Our first weekend in Southern California was a busy one. In spite of Mr. Lag, we got a lot accomplished. Lunch and dinner in Pasadena, lunch and dinner in Culver City, and I got a 'Tech Tour' from Mr. August.

The 'Old School' song was "Along Came Jones" by The Coasters. It rattled a few memory banks. Maybe it's time for 'Easy Monday'. "Sittin' in the mornin' sun, I'll be sittin' when the evenin' come. Watching the ships roll in, and then I watch 'em roll away again, yeah. I'm __ __ __ __ __ __ __ watching the tide roll away..." Hint: There's a lot of sitting going on in this song. The title is seven words long.

Saturday was our big day in Pasadena. My high school class reunion was in the evening at the Westin Hotel. We packed the car with our 'outfits' for the event, and went to my mom's house. From there we went downtown to Saladang Thai restaurant where we met Blue for lunch. We had a great time talking, laughing, and relaxing. Back at my mom's Lisa showed Jean pictures of the dogs, elephants, and the house while I took a little nap. Then it was time to get ready for the evening.

It isn't everyday that you go to your 50th class reunion. I was excited, nervous, and very curious to see my fellow graduates. When we arrived at the hotel, there was a huge line at the registration table. We saw our friend Mike, with whom I did lots of music in the past, and it eased the initial shock. We got a place in line, stood for a while, and then decided to go downstairs and have a drink. Then came shock number two: a coke, and a glass of wine came to $20 with the tip. We hung out and watched baseball (huh?). After taking our time, we went back up to the line.

We didn't have to wait long to get our name badges, and arm bands. I started seeing people that I knew, and some found me. They took our picture for something that will probably be a memory book, and we went into the banquet room to find seats. I saw many classmates that I recognized, and some that required my looking at their name tag. It turned out to be fun, even though the dinner left a lot to be desired. We spent about three hours there and decided to call it an evening. I'm really glad I got to be a part of it all.

Mid-day Sunday we were hanging out with C-Bass, and August. C-Bass was watching the World Cup final and August was working on a confetti machine. August announced that he wanted Chipotle for lunch so Lisa and I went and got take-out. While we were eating Spain scored and C-Bass turned off the TV since the match was basically over. He was rooting for The Netherlands. August called me into his room to see his latest engineering feat. There was a monitor on his desk, and the picture on the screen was the living room. Then he had me try to find the camera. I found it but still didn't understand how he did it. He had put his laptop under a towel in the living room, connected to a tiny camera. Somehow, using Skype, he was broadcasting the picture to his mother's computer in his bedroom. I am totally impressed, and still a little baffled but I'm sure he'll explain tomorrow.

Today was their mom's (Anna) birthday. The adults went to dinner in downtown Culver City. We sat at a sidewalk table at a place called Simple Greens, and had a nice dinner. I had fun watching all the cars go by. Whenever we return to the States I have to take in all the different models of everything, since we don't see most of them in Chiang Rai.

Tomorrow we go to The Valley, to meet with our new tax guy. Tuesday we fly up north for an overnight stay. The adventure continues.

Have a Great Week.

Peace,
Danny

"Dance to the music of your heart and
the audience will surely applaud."
~Unknown

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: