Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Live

Hi,

I come to you today, with two feet firmly planted on American soil. After some 'light weight' adventures in the Taipei airport, we made the long journey. And I'm not just talking about the flight. Read on.

Yea, you finally got it. The Chiffons singing "He's So Fine" from '63. This next one, from 1960, should be easy too.
"You can dance (you can dance), go and carry on, 'til the night is gone, and it's time to go. If he asks if you're all alone, can he take you home you must tell him no." Clue: The title is in six words, and it's a request. Don't drift off over-thinking it.

After I sent the message out, we went in search of food in the Taipei airport. We left the EVA Lounge, where we experienced very fast internet, and headed towards an area that previously had a Starbucks, and a Subway. They had been both been replaced with local chains serving food that doesn't line up yet with our picky palettes. We found a place serving chicken/noodle soup, but they wanted $6.00 for one bowl. We decided to wait and eat whatever the airplane gave us.

We did a lot of sleeping over the Pacific. That would explain why I woke up so early this morning. When we landed at LAX there was the natural instinct to pack up and rush off the plane. It was an exercise in 'hurry up and wait'. Down a flight of stairs, out the door, and into a bus. We had to wait until the bus was filled to the brim before it started it's long haul to the terminal. Once we were there, it was time to stand for immigration, get the bags, and then wait in a very long line for Customs. Fortunately, an observant airport worker directed some of us to a shorter line and we finally got out. It took longer to go from touch down to rental car than it did to travel from our house to Bangkok. I'm just sayin'. (Ha)

Getting into our Nissan Versa rental was just the beginning of that odd feeling I get whenever we change countries. There I was, on the 'wrong' side of the car. I managed to get us through the lot to the driveway. Then it happened, I turned on the wipers in an effort to signal my intended turn. (555) It continued to happen until I 'thought' before moving my hands. It will happen again when I get into the Vios and head home from the Chiang Rai airport. It's just something that happens. Now if I can just remember which side of the road to drive on, all will be well. Just joking, since Lisa gave me the best tip ever: If I'm close to the center of the road, then I'm on the correct side.

C-Bass was waiting for us when we arrived at the house. Just his head was visible through the kitchen door. It looked like something out of a 'scary movie', just floating there. It was so good to see him in person. We see him on Skype, but it's not the same. We haven't seen August yet, but got to hang out a bit with Jeff.

I'm off to start the day. Looks like a Wacky Wednesday.

Peace,
Danny

"To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else."
~Emily Dickinson

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: