Wednesday, February 3, 2010

People

Hi,

I had a rather full morning, and a busy evening. In between, a sink sprang a leak, the gardens got watered, some wood got a makeover, and Boot called with news from Rayong. Stay tuned for another episode of 'Driving in Chiang Rai.

Just so you know, the 'Easy' song was "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream. If you thought that was hard, get a load of this one: "One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain (repeat). So hit me with music, hit me with music. Clue: The singer was from an island country, the song is about a place, and the rhythm will make you sway.

Today was the day we got our patio furniture refinished. We found a guy to do the work through Boot's friend Jindah. She introduced me to Toon. Toon and a friend showed up this morning to sand, re-stain, and coat the wooden chairs and table on our patio. I wanted something stronger as a final coat so while they were working I went out to pick up a clear, polyurethane product. Normally they use shellac but it doesn't last and it yellows. They actually finished the whole job in one day and it all looks great.

While I was out, I dropped off a misbehaving DVD recorder for repair. With the Winter Olympics coming in a few weeks, we have to get ready. Some events will be broadcast here in Thailand through a deal with ESPN Sports. The only problem is, they start at 12:30am. So, hopefully, I can just put in a disc, record until we wake up and then change the disc.

While Lisa was working in her studio this morning, she suddenly noticed water on the floor. It was coming from her sink. After a quick mop up, I tried to determine the source. I tightened a nut but it didn't help. I asked Toon, by way of a telephone call to Tye (he speaks little English), if he could take a look at it. He came up and made a new washer for a connection and we thought that fixed it. The water stopped leaking where we'd seen it before and started running down the wall from the edge of the sink. We were both baffled and he had me call Tye so he could tell her that we'd better get someone else to take a look. We're just hoping they won't have to go into the wall. Oh my.

We got a call from Boot today, telling us that she'd be coming home on Friday instead of Sunday. Joy filled the house.

While Lisa was teaching her ballet class, I watered the gardens. It takes about an hour to go all the way around the yard. Boot usually does this over a couple of days.

We got a call from Khun Jaffee, before ballet class, and he wanted to go to dinner and discuss the upcoming show opening. He picked us up around 7pm and took us to a beautiful restaurant on the highway, just north of Ban Du, with an Indonesian motif. The ambience was unique and the food was delicious. We'll add it to our list of places to eat. I had sauteed chicken with mixed fruit. A definite departure from the norm and quite tasty.

Driving in Chiang Rai. It's not uncommon, when sitting at a long traffic light, to see Tuk-Tuk and motorbike drivers turn off their engines. Not only does it save fuel, it's a little cooler. Also, it's apparently OK, if you're on a motorbike, to turn into opposing traffic if you just going up to the next street. I mean, why bother crossing the traffic two times when you can just go right around the corner? Hmm. Amazing Thailand.

It's gonna be a Wacky Wednesday.

Peace,
Danny

"People are the way they are,
not the way I want them to be."
~Unknown

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: