Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday Funnies

Hi,

Today was a travel day, kind of. I'm writing to you from Pattaya. It's been a day of agitated dogs, fake sandwiches, and a view of the Andaman Sea that I hadn't expected.

The song that several of you knew was "I'm Not In Love" by 10cc. See how those clues worked? Now it's time for 'Old School Friday'. If you know your oldies, you should know this one by the intro: "When the twilight has gone, and no songbirds are singing..." Or this opening line to the first verse: "__ __ at the end of the day..." Hint: It's by a group whose name was a slang word for a record. Sometimes people put their hands together to do this, but they're not clapping.

This morning I moved the alarm time to 6am, to give me time to get myself together for my morning flight. Daku was a little confused by this, but still ready to go downstairs. The night before, while I was packing, he sensed that something was going on. He paced around the room, sniffing everything I put in my bag, and basically wanted to know what was up. This morning was no different. I had to be at the airport at 7:50am for an 8:50 flight. Everything went well, which meant I got to sit in the Chiang Rai airport for about 50 minutes.

After take-off, a flight attendant brought me a sandwich that they said I had ordered. I know I ordered dinner for the return flight, so it was a bit of a surprise. I looked at the package and it read 'Ham & Cheese'. I don't eat either one so I waited until she came back down the aisle. I tried to explain the problem and she finally told me that it was chicken made to look like ham. Oh. I pealed the cheese off and ate it. Hmm.

Normally, arriving in Bangkok means either taking a cab into the city, or checking in for another flight out. It was odd not to be doing either. I had looked up the company that has transportation to Pattaya so I knew where I was going, sort of. The airport was teaming with energy. Some say we're at the end of the 'High Season' but you couldn't tell by the number of big groups making transfers and arranging ground transport. I found Bell Travel and checked in. I had an hour wait so I went and got coffee and watched people.

The trip to Pattaya was pleasant in the air/con bus. The scenes from the bus changed from country to rural to business, and back to country. When we got near the junction to Pattaya, the bus pulled over and the driver and his wife got out to talk to a couple driving an oil truck. I'm guessing they knew each other because nothing was wrong with either vehicle, they smiled and talked for a few minutes and we were on our way.

The first thing that struck me as we entered the city was that there were no Tuk-Tuks. There is a flavor similar to Krabi, in that it's a major tourist town. After checking in, I went out on the street briefly, found a 7-11, and got a sense of the neighborhood. Busy is the only word I can think of. On the way to the hotel we drove past the beach and it was full of umbrellas and lounge chairs. There were people in the water, and out in the bay I could see three parasails floating over the water. Jet skis were buzzing around, and it was obvious that this was the major attraction. I'll have to check it out tomorrow and take some pics.

That's it for now. I'll have much more on Monday. Have a Wonderful WeekEnd, and enjoy the second part of 'Badly written ads'.

Peace,
Danny

Badly Written Ads Part 2

Stock up and save. Limit: one.

We build bodies that last a lifetime.

For Rent: 6-room hated apartment.

Man, honest. Will take anything.

Wanted: chambermaid in rectory. Love in, $200 a month. References
required.

Man wanted to work in dynamite factory. Must be willing to travel.

UsedCars: Why go elsewhere to be cheated? Come here first!

Christmas tag-sale. Handmade gifts for the hard-to-find person.

Wanted: Hair-cutter. Excellent growth potential.

Wanted. Man to take care of cow that does not smoke or drink.

Our experienced Mom will care of your child. Fenced yard, meals,
and smacks included.

Our bikinis are exciting. They are simply the tops.

Auto Repair Service. Free pick-up and delivery. Try us once,
you'll never go anywhere again.

Illiterate? Write today for free help.

Girl wanted to assist magician in cutting-off-head illusion. Blue
Cross and salary.

Mixing bowl set designed to please a cook with round bottom for
efficient beating.

Semi-Annual after-Christmas Sale.

And now, the Superstore--unequaled in size, unmatched in variety,
unrivaled inconvenience.

We will oil your sewing machine and adjust tension in your home for
$1.00.


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: