Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dreams

Hi,

Today was a day that should have been caught on film. It was a day to baffle and confound, annoy and bring joy. Just another day in Thailand.

The song we're working on is considered a classic by some. Many of you knew it at once. Here's a little more:
"Do you remember when we used to sing 'Sha la la la la la...La dee dah'" Clue: It's actually a song about memories of the good old days.

Adventure number one today was to find a set of 'jumper cables' (make that cabun) so I could start the truck that's been sitting for three weeks. Since we got the new car the hoopty hasn't seen much action. I started my quest on an access road to the Super Highway where I'd noticed some garages. My first stop gave me directions I didn't want to believe. He told me they sold them at 711. What? Down the Highway to the first of two gas stations with their very own 711s. The first yielded nothing. At the second I walked around a bit since it had some repair shops in the rear. By this time I had drawn one of my famous pictures. As I headed to a shop in the back I saw Khun Kek, our landscape guy. Now there were two of us looking. On our third shop we found them. Kek only knows a few words in English but communicates very well anyway. We had a fun few minutes on our quest. Oh, I took the cables home, applied them to the batteries and they burned up. Back to the Highway.

We had just begun lunch when Boot got a call and informed us that the 'man for internet' was at the gate.
This was the designated day for the CAT people (sounds funny) to come and install our ADSL line. They actually showed up. All eleven of them. Since we knew they were coming it wasn't such a surprise, except that Nina, back at the office, kept referring to 'the technician' which sounded like one guy to me. Anyway, I think about four or five of the eleven did most of the work. There was much discussion in English and Thai as to where to put the cable, the box and the holes in the walls. We finally got what we wanted: Internet in the bedroom, upstairs. Just before the guys left I had them give me a push down the driveway and I started the truck. I let it run and charge the battery, and tomorrow I'll take it out for a spin while I do errands.

After wrestling with Airport for a bit, I got it working and we now have a steady signal that isn't dropping if I look at it too hard. I can even get a signal downstairs in the music room. That means we're done. No more wires, no extra boxes or devices. We still want more speed, but doesn't everybody?

This evening we went down to the Night Bazaar to show Paladorn and Mau the mock-up of the catalog for the art show. They had been by the 9 Gallery today and brought back a stack of invitations for us to hand out. The excitement is building. As soon as the printer is done with the 'book', we'll motor down to Chiang Mai and look at a proof. If it meets our satisfaction then they will print them and send them to us on the bus. That's right. Many items are 'shipped' on the VIP bus and sometimes the local routes. That means you can get same-day delivery. Really, it's three hours from point to point. Amazing.

Time now for another Happy Tuesday.

Peace,
Danny

"Most people never run far enough on their first wind,
to find out if they've got a second.
Give your dreams all you've got and
you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you."
~William James

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: