Monday, March 9, 2009

Lift

Hi,
It was a busy Monday at the OK Corral. There was cleaning, arranging, shopping and sprucing. There was also fun with dogs. Keep reading to find out why.
Well, the marathon is over and we'll give The Beatles a rest for awhile. The last song of the set was "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", written and sung by George Harrison. Lane sent me a ton of information on this one. Here's a bit of it:
"Inspiration for the song came to Harrison when reading the I Ching. I Ching, as he put it, "seemed to me to be based on the Eastern concept that everything is relative to everything else…opposed to the Western view that things are merely coincidental."Taking this idea of relativism to his parents’ home in northern England, Harrison committed to write a song based on the first words he saw upon opening a random book. Those words were “gently weeps”, and he immediately began the song." I thought that was an interesting approach to writing and I'm so glad George took the leap. It was on the White Album and the Concert for Bandgladesh.

Now let's try something a little lighter. This is from the late 60's just to give you a head start. "Oh I could hide 'neath the wings of the bluebird as she sings, the six o'clock alarm would never ring. But it rings and I rise, wipe the sleep out of my eyes, my shaving razor's cold and it stings..." Hint: It's by a manufactured group that became the darlings of T.V. as well as records, for a time. Hey, hey, you should know this song. The title is something some of us did a lot as children. (Ha)

After I finish writing this I'll be heading off to the airport to pick up Blue. He's flying in from Jakarta by way of Bangkok. He's been there coordinating a large contingency of musicians from the U.S. for the Java Jazz Festival. The groups he was in charge of had 18 shows in 3 days. I guess you could say he's coming for a rest, although I'm sure he'll be visiting many of the Hill Tribes he photographed for his book. He'll be here for 10 days.

Next Saturday we have another house guest coming to town. Our friend Kristin will arrive for a week and we will put on our tour guide/tourist hats and see the sights.

Today I went out and did a 'circle of errands' as I like to call it. I started with an adventure at the local home improvement complex down on 'Bus Station Street' (I'll explain in a minute). I had to get some biogenic din (din means earth). The first person I asked spoke no English and didn't have a clue as to what I wanted. She quickly took me to a young man who spoke a little English and after I mentioned 'hong nam' (bathroom) he understood and took me right to it. One has to think on one's feet sometimes to get the point across.

From there I went to the car wash to get the truck presentable. While it was being washed I walked down to 'Clock Tower street' to the light store for a couple of bulbs. Then back to the bakery for fresh bread and then next door to the car wash.

The other day we asked our friend Tay the name of a certain street and her reply was 'I don't know'. She explained that everyone used landmarks to designate streets. Oh, just what I've been doing all along. Hmm.

Time's up, gotta go. Have a Great Week and I'll see you tomorrow.

Peace,

Danny

"There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up." ~John Andrew Holmes


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
www.risingstardom.com

No comments: