Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday Funnies

Hi,

Another Friday in the Rai and the weather is warm and humid. Lisa traveled, I baby-sat and ran errands. I also got a new sense of 'my home town' as I moved about.

I wonder, if I'd mentioned that the song was a 12 bar blues, might it have made a difference with your memory? As it was, I got a ton of responses to "Kansas City". It was sung by Wilbert Harrison in 1959. It reached #1 on the Billboard HOT 100, which was a pretty mean feat back then. It had one previous recording with a different title that was a moderate regional hit. Since Wilbert's recording, there have been hundreds of covers of the song.

For the weekend we'll stay in the same era but go with something I'm sure you all know. It's by a group that was famous for their novelty R&B songs and those songs are still being performed today. One of the original members is 80 and still hitting the stage. "Don't give me no dirty looks. Your father's hip he knows what cooks. Just tell your hoodlum friend outside, you ain't got time to take a ride __ __ (Don't talk back)" Clue: The title is a slang term that's been replaced over and over. Today's version might be 'Whatever'. Hmm.

We woke up to a clear blue day. Perfect for Lisa's road trip to Chiang Mai with Tay and Napa. I've been in touch by phone and I know that she was able to get a bunch of the art supplies she needed. She also mentioned that they lunched at a little restaurant by a river while they were traveling. Wish I'd been there.

I spent the morning with the dogs while Boot worked around the house. Watching them do what they do is, as Cousin Eunice said, 'Better than watching T.V.'. I never got to the fence project today. Tomorrow will be the day.

After lunch I headed out into the world to run some 'errands'. I did one of my circles, starting at the bank. There I met with the manager who immediately ask me where Lisa was. I explained her trip and she went to work on the business at hand. I should point out that because there doesn't seem to be an understanding about waiting for ones turn, she was interrupted several times by customers with questions or procedures that they wanted handled. Never mind that we were sitting at her desk, face to face. Anyway, she is a master at multitasking and got it all done. She left to do something and Bobby, her assistant and our 'bank guy' came with my pass book and we had a conversation. Once again, I had to explain where Lisa was.

Next stop was Big C. We usually gauge how busy the place is by the line of cars entering the lot. It had a moderate line today so I figured it might be a little crowded. Wrong. It was really crowded. Fortunately I went with a list and focused only on that list. As a result, I got out in record time at the express line. I must say that there were many sales going on and, as the voice on the loudspeaker kept saying: "Big C Speshun". I resisted and moved on. I also saw familiar faces and we simply nodded to each other.

Downtown is a difficult place to park, especially on Fridays. I found a place on our 'secret' street and walked to all my stops. From the pharmacy warehouse to the health food store to the relocated coffee/internet shop, I had to explain why I was shopping 'khon dio' (alone). Even the lady at the record store, where I briefly cruised through, asked if I was alone. We have become fixtures in our community and there is a sense of 'belonging' in spite of the intermittent feelings of alienation. I even had a friendly exchange with a couple of Tuk-Tuk drivers who used to ride us around town. Nothing like livin' in a small town.

We end the week with the second half of the list of puns from last week. Enjoy the 'Funnies' and have a Cool WeekEnd.

Peace,
Danny

Creative Puns for "Educated Minds"

13. Two hats were hanging on a hat rack in the hallway. One hat said to the other, 'You stay here; I'll go on a head..'

14. I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

15. A sign on the lawn at a drug rehab center said: 'Keep off the Grass.'

16. A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was, a nurse said, 'No change yet.'

17. A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.

19. The short fortune-teller who escaped from prison was a small medium at large.

20. The man who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran.

21. A backward poet writes inverse.

22. In democracy it's your vote that counts. In feudalism it's your count that votes.

23. When cannibals ate a missionary, they got a taste of religion.

24. Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
www.risingstardom.com
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: