Monday, January 5, 2009

Winter in Thailand

Treasures

Hi,
Another cold weekend in Southern California. Mr. August continues to amaze, C-Bass coaches football, and a weekend of iPhone fiascos. Stay tuned.
So, a few of you knew the weekend song. It was "Wake Up Little Susie" as performed by The Everly Brothers. You have a chance to score with all your friends if you memorize the info graciously provided by our resident researcher, Lane. Here goes:
"Wake Up Little Susie" is a popular song written by Felice and Boudleaux Bryant and published in 1957.
The song is best known in a recording by The Everly Brothers, issued by Cadence Records as catalog number 1337. The song reached #1 on the Billboard Pop and Country charts and the Cash Box Best Selling Record charts, despite having been banned from Boston radio stations for lyrics that—at the time—were considered suggestive. It got to #2 on the United Kingdom song charts. The song is ranked #311 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. Now you know.
We'll kick off the week with lyrics from the end of a song you should know, even if you were born too late (Ha)
"Nothing you can know that isn't known. Nothing you can see that isn't shown. Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be, it's easy. __ __ __ __ __. (repeat as long as you want)" Hint: Mop-heads got deep on this one. It's about a simple solution, among other things.
Winter in Thailand is a relative thing. If you're from SoCal, it doesn't feel like winter the first time you go through it. The second winter, different story. Some nights found me putting on a thermal undershirt for an evening out. Daytimes warmed to short-sleeve temps. Going down to Bangkok it's even warmer. Now, coming back to sunny L.A. in winter, at least this winter, has me wearing two thermals during the day. Oh, and then there's the sweater and the jacket. I guess I've become acclimated to Thailand weather.
Over the weekend August created more 'things'. He scraped the emulsion off of an old roll of film and created a film strip that he connected to a small motor so it 'crawled' across the screen of his overhead projector. He wrote a message and his name in the order required (backwards) and then made his presentation. That was Saturday. Sunday he cut up a big box to make a presentation module for his laptop and his second monitor. You could watch a 3D presentation on the monitor or play a video game on the laptop. His visual entertainment center. Finally, he took an old slide projector and put an LED flashlight inside and projected it through the lens, onto the wall. School started today so I guess there will be a slowdown until the weekend. (Ha)
C-Bass was into his college football game, coaching, recruiting and winning. Sometimes he's come to me and asked me a question and I found myself not knowing a thing about it. Behind the scenes of football is a mystery to me. Like I've told you, I don't keep up with it. I can watch and understand, but I don't get excited and want to know everything. Oh, and some of you may recall my rant a long time ago about the phrase 'Play Action'. What? I rest my case. C-Bass understands the whole deal and one day I'll let him teach me.
Sunday morning I was supposed to meet a guy and buy his iPhone. I waited and waited, after obsessing about it all night of course. He didn't show and I said 'Oh well'. I think he told me the wrong coffee shop. No matter, there are lots of them out there and I have a few days left. This morning I'm selling my old Treo and I'm lowering the price on my Nokia so I can leave the mainland with one phone. (555)
Have a fantastic week and stay warm.

Peace,
Danny

"We can choose to see life as a series of trials and tribulations,
or we can choose to see life as an accumulation of treasures."
~Unknown


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

www.risingstardom.com

No comments: