Friday, October 17, 2008

Friday Funnies

Hi,
Just a short note (Ha) to close out the week. It was a beautiful, clear day here in Chiang Rai. The wind blew for a while in the afternoon, but it was basically a post-card day.
The song was "Baby, It's You" by The Shirells. It was written by Burt Bacharach, Hal David, and Barney Williams. That last name was a pseudonym for the producer, Luther Dixon. It was a common thing for producers to do something to get their name on the credit, and get a piece of the copyright. It was released in '62 and has been covered by tons of artists. Now you know.
Here's one for the weekend: "It's getting near dawn, When lights close their tired eyes. I'll soon be with you my love,
To give you my dawn surprise. I've been waiting so long, to be where I'm going, In the __ __ __ __" Clues: A trio in the '60s, often found in coffee. Key word in title gives us warmth, and that's all you get. You should know this. You have extra days to think. Step away from the Google.
This morning we went to the market. Actually, we went to the grocery store in the market. It's like a super-market type store which is different than the stalls and smells of the 'Thai' market. We picked up what we needed, found a few more things and zipped off to another market where you just drive up and get the fruit you want. I've gotten familiar enough with the town that I can visualize a circle for shopping runs, just like the 'old days' in Culver City.
Before I forget, Claire wrote and asked about the nature of the fires I mentioned. They are all intentional burns. Most of them are either people burning extra trash or farmers getting rid of the dried left-overs of a harvested crop. It's a lot better than it used to be, prior to our arrival. There are several university professors who have written articles about the hazards of this kind of burning, but if you don't read the paper, you don't know. I suppose more education will, over time, change things. For now, we just stay inside and turn on the air.
So ends the 'short note'. It's time for the 'Funnies' from Cousin Trudye. Have a Cool WeekEnd.

Peace,
Danny

HOW'S NORMA

A sweet grandmother telephoned St. Joseph's Hospital. She timidly asked, 'Is it possible to speak to someone who can tell me how a patient is doing?'
The operator said, 'I'll be glad to help, dear. What's the name and room number?'

The grandmother in her weak, tremulous voice said, 'Norma Findlay, Room 302.'

The operator replied, 'Let me place you on hold while I check with her nurse.'

After a few minutes, the operator returned to the phone and said, 'Oh, I have good news. Her nurse just told me that Norma is doing very well. Her blood pressure is fine; her blood work just came back as normal, and her physician, Dr.Cohen, has scheduled her to be discharged on Tuesday.'

The grandmother said, 'Thank you. That's wonderful! I was so worried! God bless you for the good news.'

The operator replied, 'You're more than welcome. Is Norma your daughter?'

The grandmother said, 'No, I'm Norma Findlay in 302. No one tells me s**t.'


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

www.risingstardom.com

No comments: