Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dance

Hi,
Today was a low-key day that started really early. A few minutes before 6 a.m. we were awakened by the sound of drums, gongs and horns. There was 30 minutes of a steady rhythm which came from the temple in the village. It's about a half mile from here, but the sound carries and I think they ran it through the P.A. system so the whole community could hear. I'll tell you why in a minute.
A few of you guessed pretty good on the song. My guess is, the original artist will come as a result of Google searches. Hmm, send it anyway. "Here is the main thing I want to say, I'm busy 24 hours a day. I fix broken hearts, I know I truly can..." Clues: Well, it's from the late 50s, which may take a few of you off the hook, and it's seen several musical stylings. That's a mark of a good song. When it can go from R&B to Pop to Smooth Folk (?) and still work, it's got to be good at the root.
Today marked the end of a three month 'Rains Retreat' when Buddhist monks stay at the Wats overnight. I told you about this when it began. The history behind this tradition pre-dates Buddha, in India where Brahmin refrained from travel during the rainy season so as not to step on newly sprouted plants. It's also a time, for some, of extra study and reverence. I've condense all of this of course, but I found it interesting.
BamBam is doing pretty good, considering she's been house/cage bound and can't run and play. She's a ball of energy and it's all she can do to comply. Today she got to go for a couple of walks on the leash and I'm sure it was both pleasurable and frustrating. She doesn't know it, but it's a lot better than if she was still in the hospital. A few more days and she'll be 'on patrol' again. Today I made a point of not mentioning her ball because she'd want to find it and play. I just said 'you know what' and she didn't get it. (Ha)
We got another lesson in Thai etiquette today from our friend Tay. She had taken Lisa to a salon to get her hair styled and when they returned we learned that younger people wai (hands together in front of face) older people and the older have the option of returning the wai with a lower hand placement. That means that we'll be mostly returning them since most of the people we encounter are younger than us. Hmm. Takes the guess-work out of who goes first.
It's time for a Happy Tuesday.

Peace,
Danny

"Opportunity dances with those who are already on the dance floor."
~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

www.risingstardom.com

No comments: