Monday, September 1, 2008

Lessons

Hi,
Today marks one year since we began our adventure in Thailand. A little later I'll try to recall some of the things we've learned/encountered. Stay with me.
Many of you knew the weekend song. It was Bobby Caldwell's "What You Won't Do For Love". Now we switch gears. Know this?:
"Ever since I was a young boy, I've played the silver ball..." Hint: Was it really just a game? Really though, it's from a piece of musical history. Why?
So, a year has passed and I learned that it really is possible to drive on the other side of the road and not run into too many things. We spent a month in a hotel and it started to feel like home. One can live in a foreign country, not know the language and still get by. Air conditioning can become a necessary part of life. Just because you see dogs lying in the road doesn't mean something bad happened. Smiling faces don't always want something. A Big Brown House can be built in five months. Puppies will love you unconditionally. Acceptance is more than a notion, it can take work. A lower cost of living can brighten your day. Living in Thailand is not better or worse, it's just different.
As the week rolls by I'll maybe be a little more specific, but there are so many things flying through my mind right now it's hard to focus. Today Johan arrived with two of his guys and set up an auxiliary pump and filter to clean out the Black Lagoon. In just a day we can see the bottom. We may be swimming this week. In a couple of weeks they'll start work on a new 'pump room'.
All the corn fields around us have been harvested and plowed under. Yesterday about 14 men and women planted seeds in the field behind us. Who could imagine I'd be waiting for corn to sprout? (Ha)
Last but not least, there's a carnival going on across the river and we can hear the bass (just the bass) of a live band. Oh my, it's supposed to go on for a week. I think if we play some music we won't hear it. We're going to go and check it out and I'll let you know what's happening. What we know so far is, lots of people were streaming in this evening. I guess it's a big deal.
Have an Amazing Week.

Peace,
Danny

"The difficulties we experience
always illuminate the lessons we need most."
~Unknown

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: