Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fear

Hi,
Another day, another set of new experiences. We discovered the other day that the screws that hold down the outlets at the bottom of the pool are made of the wrong kind of material and have already started to rust. Stay tuned for the 'deep' conclusion.
Another gem seems to have eluded a lot of you. That's not to say that some of the sharp 'players' didn't get it. Here's more:
"I see a red door and I want it __ __, no colors anymore I want them to turn black..." Clue: Do you want me to spell it out for you?
In order to replace the screws on the bottom, one had to be removed so the replacement would be the proper length. I was offered the task of retrieving said screw. Fortunately, the pool is not very deep, but it's deep enough that it was hard to stay on the bottom long enough to unscrew the screw. I put on my goggles so I could see what I was doing. With the help of a friendly mermaid (I wrapped one arm around Lisa's leg), I was able to take a deep breath and stay down long enough to do the deed. It was very satisfying to get it out. Now Johan can take it with him to Chiang Mai and get stainless steel. I'm not sure who's going to take out the rest of them. Hmm.
This afternoon the doorbell rang. We weren't expecting anyone. We opened the gate and a man walked into the yard talking a mile a minute in Thai. What? As he continued, I heard the name Kak, our landscape artist. Ah, another tree was being delivered. He drove a big truck down the driveway with a hoist tied to a very big tree. After a wait, more workers appeared and they promptly dug a hole and planted the tree. Kak arrived and took out one of his many books and showed us what the tree would look like. Beautiful, with purple flowers. Now we have to wait for it to fill out.
I've gone on and on about how smart Bam-Bam is and you're probably saying 'Yeah, right'. Well, when she gets a bath or gets wet, all you have to do is put a towel on the ground and she gets on it and rolls onto her back and wiggles around. Smart or what? She also is very aware of the routine when Boot leaves the house. She's a little anxious until the gate closes, then she calms down. The interesting thing is, she wants to stay downstairs until Boot returns. We had her upstairs with us today and she kept wanting to go down. Finally, Lisa took her downstairs and she went into Boots room with a bone and waited. Like I said, smart.
The Festival across the river is not about food at all. It's put on by an organization of Thai merchants showing Thai made products. The carnival atmosphere is part of the attraction. We went to a similar event months ago, but never went to the carnival.
Another driving observation: Making my way through the streets can be viewed as a ballet on wheels or utter chaos. Today I chose the ballet. It made the whole experience more interesting. (Ha)
That's all for now. Have a Thrilling Thursday.

Peace,
Danny

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still."
~Chinese Proverb


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: