Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Essence

Hi,
It's a big, wide, busy world out there. We've been tuning in to the Asian version of world news in English lately, to keep up with the hurricanes and any news about Thailand. The rain we get in Chiang Rai is not so bad considering what's going on in the Gulf. That's not to say that there hasn't been some bad flooding in some areas of the province. We're pretty lucky so far, and our property is situated so the fields will take any heavy run-off.
I'm happy to report that there were a few out there that got the song on the first day. There's still time to figure it out.
"Free, on my own that's the way I used to be. Ah, but since I met you baby Love's got a hold on me...You know I __ __ __ __ __ __"
Hint: The law of averages caught up with him. Hmm.
The other day I was looking at the pool with Johan and we started talking about the bugs that get in the water. They start out under water and look like tiny fish, then they walk on the water and fly. He told me of a Thai client who said she wants to come back as one of these bugs. She thought the idea of being able to travel on all those levels and be indestructible would be pretty cool. Now there's a new perspective.
More Driving Notes. Understanding what a sign or a light really means can make all the difference in the world. There are several intersections with green arrows that one from the west would assume mean 'free turn'. Well, I realized it couldn't mean that the first time I started to turn left (remember, it's backwards) on a red light/green arrow and saw cars coming from my right. The other night we saw a right arrow and knew it didn't mean 'free turn' because cars were coming from the other direction. As close as I can figure it, it means that if nothing's coming, take a shot, or that it's not a one-way. Sometimes streets change from two to one and you'd better know when and which ones.
I forgot to tell you, I got the new radio installed in the truck. Now we can play CDs and plug the iPod in and listen to stuff we like. That not to say that I don't still like to listen to Thai radio. There's a station I found called 'Fat 93'. They play contemporary Pop/R&B and, as they say, 'Fat Tunes'. Just like being in the big city.
Have a Happy Tuesday.

Peace,
Danny

"If you're able to be yourself, then you have no competition.
All you have to do is get closer and closer to that essence."
~Barbara Cook


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: