Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Welcome

Hi,

First, let me apologize for not sending a message on Monday.  I was so overwhelmed with the beginning of a new year that I was beside myself.  The truth is, I forgot.  New Years Eve was fairly quiet, a perfect time to write to you, but my mind wandered and then the ball dropped.  Oh, it’s still being cold at night, but that seems to be everywhere in this hemisphere.  Chiang Rai and Culver City had the same temps yesterday.

The ‘Old School Friday’ song was “Gee Whiz” by Carla Thomas.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjzB0m_60E
Since I didn’t give you a song on Monday, this week we’ll call it ‘Easy Tuesday’ (555).  The elves are telling me that it had better be an easy one.  “__!  I need somebody __!  Not just anybody __!  You know I need someone.  __!  When I was younger, so much younger than today,  I never needed anybody’s help in any way.  But now those days are gone, I’m not so self assured.  Now I find I’ve changed my mind, I’ve opened up the door.”  Hint: One word, a request for assistance, from the movie of the same name, 1965.  You have one day to respond, then the message will self-distruct and a new song will appear.

While we were in Palo Alto, we went to the Palo Alto Art Center with Joe to check out a wonderful exhibit.  The title was simple: ‘Play’.  Some of the installations were interactive, inviting our participation.  Today’s photo was taken just inside the door of “Silver Clouds” by Andy Warhol and Billy Kluver.  It consisted of helium-filled mylar pillows that float around the room.  They were very sensitive to air movement in the small room and made it fun to try to avoid them, or touch them.  


From the art exhibit we visited two of Joe’s very good friends, Jerry and Barbara.  Joe and Jerry go for walks along the bay and Joe reads to Jerry.  They are a fun couple from another era.  They have a house full of memories and art, and a yard filled with succulents and little animal statues.  Jerry is a retired actor and has many stories to tell.  

It’s hard to tell where Jet Lag ends and being tired takes over.  Most of our afternoons still have that heavy-lidded moment when the ‘I can’t stay awake’ feeling consumes us.  It’s getting better, but our sleep has not normalized yet.  

Natcha has been giving us daily updates about things at home.  Daku is doing great, and of course Neechanon is getting cuter by the day.  Cat spent New Years Eve with Daku and the little family had a quiet dinner at home.  Our friends Brenda and Eric picked up tickets for us for the Chiang Rai Jazz Festival.  We missed a little Christmas concert at The Wanderer, but it’s OK because we’ve seen the Youth Orchestra many times.  

After a little over a week here, I’m starting to get used to things like driving in heavy traffic, not cringing at the price of things, and trying hard to resist the temptations brought on by the abundance of desserts, etc.  

We now move into the visiting stage of this adventure.  The appointment book is quickly filling up.  Wednesday, we’re going out to ’The Valley Cousins’ and spend the night at the home of Nowell and Jennifer.        

Tomorrow we have a lunch at USC and a dinner in Santa Monica.  Moving from place to place is how we get to see the city (555).

Have a Happy Tuesday.

               Peace,
                         Danny

“And now we welcome the 
new year.  Full of things that
have never been.”
~Rainer Maria Rilke

No comments: