Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Impossible


Hi,

The weather was warmer today in SoCal.  While we were out and about this morning and evening, I didn’t have to wear my warm jacket.  I hope it stays like this for the rest of the trip.  That would be so nice.

The ‘Easy Tuesday’ song was “Help” by The Beatles.  I’m surprised that no one wrote me with the answer.  Still trying to figure out this ‘New Year’ thing? (555)  “Well since you put me down I’ve been out doin’ in my head.  Come in late at night and in the mornin’ I just stay in bed.  Well, __ you look so fine, and I know it wouldn’t take much time for you to __ __ __, help me get her out of my heart.”  Hint:  I consider this a zany approach to the subject (555).  In fact, it’s devious.  Same need for assistance as the last song. 

It’s hard to believe, but August is in his last year of high school.  He came to our room last night, to work on one of his college applications.  The little boy who used to count the plugs in our last house, who loved to watch ‘How It’s Made’, is almost grown.  

 We went to U.S.C. for lunch with our friend Irene.  Today we ate at a fairly new part of the campus called University Village.  This is a ‘redo’ of an area just north of the main campus, featuring small restaurants, and some anchor stores like Target and Trader Joe’s.  We ate at a ‘Green Leaf’, which is apparently part of a chain.  The food was quite good.  Everything is fresh, made to order.  It was fun catching up on various things with Irene and sharing stories from ‘home’ with her.  She stayed with us for a few days, several years ago.  Before we came to visit this time, she requested a treat from Thailand that she still remembered.  

This evening we went to an Italian restaurant in Santa Monica with our friend Richard, who used to consult at the institute where Lisa worked.  More good food and conversation.

The last time we were in town I made some observations about the gentrification of the West side.  On this trip it is even more apparent that there is a trend to the more ‘upscale’ in everything.  New businesses, mostly food industry, are popping up all over and they are all ’trendy’ fusion spots with high prices for what they offer.  There is a nearby place where a cup of coffee costs $5.  What happens to those who are displaced by this?  What happens when large apartment/condo structures open?  What was once a bedroom community will eventually become a dense city.  Will it still have a soul?  Something to think about.    

Today’s photo was taken on our flight to San Jose last week.  In the middle of the desert I saw what looked like some alien base, something that would eventually just loom up into the sky.  The more I looked, the more I saw solar panels.  Hmm, and it was such a good UFO story.  Hmm, are we sure they’re solar panels?


Feels like a Wacky Wednesday.
 
               Peace,
                         Danny

“It always seems impossible
until it’s done.”
~Nelson Mandela

No comments: