Wednesday, August 9, 2017

World

Hi,

I suppose you could call yesterday a perfect weather day.  Then again, it depends on where you’re standing.  From where I was, it was great. 

The ‘Easy Monday’ song was “School Boy Crush” by Average White Band.  Congrats to those who remembered.  Now it’s time for a ‘Zany Day’ adventure.  This week’s ‘Zany Day’ song is from 1968 and was sung by a group that featured an artist who went on to have a huge solo career.  It also has one of the longest titles in popular music with 11 words.  “I woke up this mornin’ with the sundown shinin’ in, I found my mind in a brown paper bag within.  I tripped on a cloud and fell eight miles high, I tore my mind on a jagged sky.  I __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __.” Hint:  The singer is paying a visit to himself, a reflection on a certain kind of experience.

Last night we had a great talk with Jeff, who recently returned from a trip to Japan.  Anna is still there, as hair stylist on the ‘Fuller House’ TV show.  Jeff plays the bass so he found the street where musical instruments are sold in Tokyo.  When he asked if he could play a bass in one of the stores, the clerk took the bass, wiped it off and tuned it before handing it to Jeff.  Sounds like a place to visit someday.

Tuesday was another full day.  There was a three hour block of visits with friends from the institute where Lisa worked before we left, and dinner by the ocean in Redondo Beach with Denny and Sheila. 

This Summer Visit has been filled with bittersweet memories.  As most of you know, we made two trips last summer.  The first time we came after my mother had a major stroke.  On the second trip we had her memorial.  A year later there are many reminders of her in the things we do and don’t do.  Having dinner with my brother and sister-in-law was comforting.  Things were easier than the last time we got together six months ago.  Time is a healer.

Today’s photo was taken last evening in Redondo Beach as the sunset.


We talked to Cat after we got home from dinner.  Last night was the event for the donors to the ‘Freedom Story’, the organization that sponsors education for Cat and the other young people from her village.  She was a special guest and was interviewed by Rachel Goble, the president and co-founder of the project.  Cat said she was a bit overwhelmed by the response she got from the audience after the talk.  Everyone wanted to talk to her.  This is being an amazing adventure for her.

I realized this visit, that I not only enjoy seeing all the exotic cars that populate the streets of the L.A. area, I’m enjoying the sounds as well.  Sometimes I see what’s making the sound, other times I just hear and wonder.  Tonight, while getting gas in our ‘quiet Hyundai’, I heard the throaty sound of what must have been a race-ready sports car.  All I saw was tail lights.  The sounds of the streets can be intoxicating.

Two more nights and we will begin our journey home.  We have one more dinner, and I think I’ve got one more coffee in me.  The Big Brown House is calling.  I’m actually looking forward to being stuck in the house, listening to the sound of the falling rain (I know, it’s a song).  Grateful for everything in my life. 

I think it’s gonna be a Wacky Wednesday.

                      Peace,
                                Danny

“The most beautiful thing
in the world is, of course,
the world itself.”
~Wallace Stevens

No comments: