Friday, August 4, 2017

Friday Funnies

Hi,

Our little corner of So. California had great weather today.  It was sunny, hot, and not too humid.  It was, well, summer weather.  Imagine that.  We see, from Thai outlets, that the weather there is going to be rainy all weekend and into next week.

The ‘Zany Day’ song was “You Don’t Mess Around With Jim” by Jim Croce.  That leaves us with only one place to go from here, ‘Old School Friday’.  “This is __ __ __ __ __ __.  While I’m away from you, my baby, I know it’s hard for you, my baby, because it’s hard for me, my baby, and the darkest hour is just before dawn.”  Hint:  This R&B ballad was originally recorded by a ‘Girl Group’ with a long string of hits.  It’s based around something that kids did, mostly on radio and TV, when requesting a song for someone they liked. 

We had some time before my contact lens appointment so we got out ‘the list’ and proceeded to shop for Daku, visit the $1 store, and go into an actual grocery store.  When we get home, Daku will have a choice of some exotic bones to mess with.   The $1 store was a little disappointing.  There wasn’t a lot on the shelves and what they had was of little interest.  Hmm, spoiled by the ‘Everything Store’.  There is a Ralph’s grocery store that used to be an Alpha Beta (we still call it that) and that was where we got a few staples.  The big thing there was a big magazine rack and most of them were in English.  I wish I had time to explore.

For the last 6 months I have been wearing 14 day contact lenses that give me good long and mid-range vision.  I’ve had to use reading glasses for reading and close work, like eating (5).  I’m trying out what are called Monovision contacts.  One is for the distance vision eye and the other for the near vision eye.  The brain is supposed to pick the correct eye for the task, putting it in simplest of terms.  I’ve had them in for about 12 hours and my brain is beginning to figure things out.  The doctor told me there is a compromise with this system and it’s up to me.  That sounds like Thailand.  For me, the payoff is not having to pull out the reading glasses to see close things.  Also, I can look at close stuff without my eyes feeling extremely strained with the Monovision.  The minus is the fact that the distance is not as sharp as the other system, although it’s still changing.  I’m grateful that I can see.  This is more about the quality of life stuff. 

In the afternoon Darryl and Kaylani came over for a visit.  They drove down from Lompoc.  The last time we saw KayKay, as she likes to be called, they came on the train and she was still in a stroller.  Now she’s 3 and quite a bundle of energy.  Darryl is doing a great job, stepping up to the challenge of being a single dad.  We sent them off with a series of children’s books and a little bundle of treats for the road.  It was really neat to meet her again.  Here they are at the end of their visit.


Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.     Hang on for the ‘Funnies’.

                  Peace,
                            Danny



No comments: