Monday, March 23, 2015

Freedom

Hi,

The Chiang Rai air was a little bit better today, but the weekend was the same.  There are some interesting tactics being used to combat the 'haze', with little success.  

The 'Old School Friday' song was "Rockin' Robin" by Bobby Day.  That means it's time for 'Easy Monday' and a song that may be corny to some, but reflects the wishful thinking of many in Chiang Rai.  "Sunshine, blue skies, please go away.  My girl has found another and gone away.  With her went my future, my life is filled with gloom.  So day after day, I stay locked up in my room.  I know to you it might sound strange, but __ __ __ __ __." 
Hint: I'm tempted to tell you something useful, but I think I already have.  It's an R&B tune from 1968 by a group.

Saturday morning I took Cat to get her braces adjusted.  While waiting in the van, I noticed a firetruck in my rearview mirror.  We don't see them on the streets very often so I turned around to get a better look.  To my surprise, there was a giant stream of water shooting into the sky from the top of the truck.  As it rolled down the middle of the street I realized they were 'washing' the sky.  Wishful thinking on someone's part.  In Chiang Mai they have flown military planes over parts of the city, spraying water with about the same results.  A fine mist falls but the smokey haze remains.  Seeding clouds has been discussed, but you have to have clouds to pull that off.  Some time this week we may get rain.  Hmm.

 The Songkran Festival doesn't begin until April 13, but the banks of the Maekok were teaming with people this weekend.  It looked like the holiday had begun.  In spite of the bad air, folks were sitting by the river in lawn chairs, wadding across the river, and having a good time.  When you want to get away, hot weather and bad air don't have to slow you down.  I wonder how many of them were wearing masks?  

Today's photo was taken by Blue on Sunday evening.  This amazing photo was shot with a 300mm lens through a window, with the focus on the leaves in the foreground.  The ring around the sun, according to Blue, may have been caused by the window, the smoke or the fact that the sun was out of focus.  Whatever the cause, it's a stunning photo.


We found out today, that the little elephants will be staying in town for a while before going to Bangkok.  They're going to be hanging out at Le Meridien Resort.  That's great news since I still haven't gotten my fill of the little creatures.  Art Bridge just posted some individual photos that can be seen at the long link below.  Just click and enjoy.


Have a Great Week.

                Peace,
                          Danny
 
"To enjoy freedom we have to
control ourselves."
~Virginia Woolf

No comments: