Monday, March 2, 2015

Freedom

Hi,

The HOT is here.  The forecast for the week says it will be in the high 90s.  It's time for the nights to warm up so we can swim.  

So, the 'Old School Friday' tune was "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry.  For this week's 'Easy Monday' song, I take you back to 1970.  "I came upon a child of God, he was walking along the road and I asked him, where are you going, and this he told me.  'I'm going to camp out on the land, I'm going to try to an' get my soul free'.  We are stardust, we are golden, and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."  Clue:  The title is one word, and it's a place.  It was also history.

Saturday morning we went to Chiang Mai Central Festival, which is billed as the largest mall in Northern Thailand.  We've been there several times and still haven't seen all of it.  A search for a few items we couldn't find in Chiang Rai turned out to be in vain.  We did visit the ice rink and watched some figure skaters working out, and a little girl getting an ice hockey lesson.  Yes, this is inside a Thailand mall, on one of the upper levels.


Our adventure continued with a taxi ride through tiny little side-streets, to an Italian restaurant for lunch.  Giorgio's prepared a special order lunch that fit my needs.  I've gotten quite used to grilled/sautéed chicken and steamed zucchini.  After lunch we hailed a Tuk-Tuk and went to Maximum Sound for some music making accessories.  The store is owned by a Thai woman who is very knowledgable about the technical aspects everything in the place.  She speaks English and made us feel very comfortable.  We had shopped there before and she remembered us.  Next time we go there, I'm going to ask her about her 'story'.  Our driver waited for us and took us back to the hotel.  It was a cool morning.

I attended workshops in the afternoon and then we went to a big buffet dinner and show in the evening, down by the river.  Naturally, I ate before we went since nothing on the menu was 'safe' for me.  Since it was a buffet with lots of people coming and going for food, it was easy to just sit there with my glass of water and pretend that I had eaten already, or was going to the line later (555).  It turns out nobody cared anyway.  The entertainment was the show we saw last year, so we just enjoyed the conversation at our table.  

We left the banquet and went to Rimping Market, which was across the river from where we were, for a supply of kitchen items we don't find in our local stores.  Rimping is a local chain that specializes in imported foods, catering to the expat shoppers.  We could really use one of their stores in Chiang Rai.

Our return trip was uneventful and we got home by 6pm.  The dogs acted like we'd been gone for three weeks.  It's nice to be missed.  

Have a Great Week.

                 Peace,
                           Danny

"Freedom is an internal achievement
rather than an external adjustment."
~Adam Clayton Powell

No comments: