Friday, March 14, 2014

Friday Funnies

Hi,

The weather began like it was going to be a cooler day.  Ha, little did we know it was just a trick.  By this afternoon it was hot and hazy.  We had a great day anyway.  The weekend will be filled with fast cars.

The 'Zany Day' song was "Pin Ball Wizard" by The Who, from the Rock Opera "Tommy".  'Old School Friday is next.
"I don't like you, but I love you.  Seems like I'm always thinking of you.  Oh, oh, oh, you treat me badly, I love you madly, __ __ __ __ __ __ __.  I don't want you, but I need you.  Don't want to kiss you, but I need you.  Oh, oh, oh, you do me wrong now, my love is strong now, __ __ __ __ __ __ __."  Clue:  The singer is in the firm grip of love.  The group is from that place where they used to make cars. 

This morning we had a surprise visit from our friends Noot and Kwan, from Doi Chaang Coffee.  They brought us some incredible flowers from their yard.  In Thai it's called 'Asok Sappan' and the tree that grows it was brought to Thailand about 30 years ago.  Only in the past few years has it bloomed.  Apparently it grows in tropical regions in different parts of the world.  


This afternoon we went to Doi Chaang Coffee for supplies (coffee), and hung out.  I browsed through a Chinese business newspaper written in English.  It struck me that living in this region has made me more aware of international news in Asia.  There is a lot going on in this part of the world that I had no clue about before.  Because some countries are relatively small, there is more interaction and dependence on neighboring countries.  As an example, some of our water supply is dependent on the dams in China.  The buying and selling of rice is another hot topic that cannot be overlooked.  We have known for some time about medical tourism, a term that was new to us until we came here.  The more you know, the more you know.

Day one of Science Camp for Cat was all physics.  The day was broken into seven 40 minute sessions.  In each session they were given a physics problem to solve.  Hmm, how I spent my summer vacation.  Tomorrow is biology and chemistry.  School here is no joke.

Yesterday was Thai National Elephant Day.  We didn't see much evidence of it here in Chiang Rai, but I'm sure there was something going on at the local rescue camps.  There is a move to enlist Mahouts (elephant handlers) to become forest rangers.  They would patrol the forest areas with their elephants, which would be good for the animals since they would be in their natural habitat.  Nice idea, I hope it happens.

Don't forget, this weekend is the beginning of the new Formula One season.  There are new rules and all the teams have brand new cars.  This should be interesting.  Zoom.

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.   On to the 'Funnies'.

                    Peace,
                               Danny


1 comment:

Rushen said...

Please avoid all kind of elephant activity in Thailand, here is why;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX7VWC3bJ1Q#t=343

.. that includes any government supported protection centers, because it is a corrupt country.

If you want to see elephant, the most human way would be to see them in wild, in many national parks across Thailand. Khao Yai, Kaeng Krachan and Kui Buri National Parks only few;

http://www.thainationalparks.com/kui-buri-national-park

http://www.thainationalparks.com/kaeng-krachan-national-park


http://www.thainationalparks.com/khao-yai-national-park