Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Key

Hi,

The weather in Chiang Rai is warm and hazy. It's gone on far too long, but I promise not to rant. Some kind of 'bug' hit me in the middle of the night and I've been down all day.

I guess you're all out enjoying the weather or something. The 'Easy Monday' song had three submissions. What?
"They say that I won't last too long __ __ (__ __). I'll catch the Greyhound bus for home, they all say (__ __)
But oh, they're dead wrong, I know they are, 'cause I can play this here guitar. And I won't quit 'til I'm a start __ __ (__ __)." Hint: Remember? This is 'Easy Monday'.

Sunday morning we left Chiang Rai after picking up Jaffee. We drove south to Chiang Mai for a 12n appointment with the two-man film crew from ASEAN TV. They had been to the gallery a few days before and shot some footage of Lisa's exhibit. Sunday was to be an interview. The young man who hosts the show told me it's about various aspects of the arts. When we arrived they were all set up and ready to go. He asked some very good questions and Lisa gave some great responses. The program will broadcast sometime in May and after it airs they will send us a copy. Another bit of good news was that the gallery would take down and pack the show and send it to Chiang Rai. We thought we were going to be spending the afternoon bubble-wrapping all the pieces.

We had a late lunch at the mall next to our hotel and then took a long nap. The rest of the day was ours so we took the hotel van to Central Airport, a giant big brother to our local mall, for dinner and 'looking'. Strolling around felt like we were in a different Thailand. The place is very slick and very upscale. It's fun to see things that we'd see in the West, and variations on Western themes in a Thai way. While trying to find an exit with a cab stand, we stumbled on the big car show. The first thing that got our attention was the 'Sexy Dance' contest on the big stage. What? It was pretty tacky, but there was a big crowd watching. Behind the crowd there were some custom cars with giant sound systems and one that had hydraulic lifts and no seats. It was an exhibition car used to see how high it can bounce. OK, don't ask.

Inside a large pavilion we saw displays of new cars from all the major manufacturers. There were also a bunch of very exotic cars that ranged from 5 to 7 million Baht. That's a lot of dollars, and a lot of fantasies. We finally found our way out of the mall and went back to the hotel.

Monday morning we slept in, had breakfast and checked out. I drove straight back without any stops and we made record time. I just wanted to be back home. The dogs were happy to see us and Daku was very cooperative. I guess he's been missing us and is happy when we're at home.

Whatever pounced on me in the night has had me weak and achy today. Lots of sleep, liquids and special care will have me back on my feet in time for the busy day that tomorrow is looking like. Hmm.

Have a Happy Tuesday.

Peace,
Danny

"There is no key to happiness. The door is always open."
~Unknown

No comments: