Friday, April 20, 2012

Friday Funnies

Curbside Fried Chicken

Hi,

As usual, it was another scorcher in Chiang Rai today. We were out and about in the morning before it got too hot, but then I went back out in the afternoon. Later there was swimming and a concert.

This week's 'Bad Ass Bass' tune was "Day Tripper" by The Beatles. For 'Old School Friday' we go back to 1961 and a remake of a Rogers and Hart classic. Who could forget: "Bom ba ba bom ba bom ba bom bom (it goes on for a while),
__ __, you saw me standing alone, without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own..." Hint: Another easy one, but you have to tell me who recorded this version. The group was named for a popular hair treatment.

We went to the flower market to get an arrangement to take to the concert we attended this evening. In the process, Lisa picked up two cute little stuffed teddy bears for Boot and her sister. The market was also humming with activity. There's a guy who cooks deep-fried chicken right out on the street. They were doing a brisk business. It reminded me of a famous spot in Pasadena called 'Bill's Chicken Shack', where we used to buy a bag of chicken and the bag would be all greasy before you got in the car. Back in the day when we didn't know any better. (Ha)

I went out to New Life Foundation this afternoon for a meeting with the residents. On the way I stopped and got a hair cut. It was a good thing because there was no air at the center, just overhead fans and they didn't lower the temperature. When I got back to the house Lisa was in the pool with our friend Shannon and a visiting friend of hers. The water was a welcome relief.

Our day ended with a concert given by Sakkan Sarasap, the young 17 year old violin prodigy and son of the owners of 9 Art Gallery. It was a solo performance in the auditorium at the Dept. of Engineering for the City. He played works by Bach and Paganini and it was amazing. We have watched him develop over the last four years and he just keeps getting better. He lives in Bangkok, attending school on scholarship and is becoming a 'violin hero' among younger players. After the concert, members of the Chiang Rai Youth Orchestra came on stage to have pictures taken with Sakkan, who used to be in the orchestra. They each gave him a rose and he managed to smile through it all. He has been a member of the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra since he was fifteen.

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd. Now it's time for the 'Funnies'.

Peace,
Danny

Gary and Pete
Two alcoholics walk into a tavern at the same time. They step up to the
bar and they each order a beer. As they strike up a conversation, they
become quite excited:

Gary: Gee, you look familiar. Are you from around here?
Pete: Sure am. Lived here all my life. Grew up over on Truman Street.
Gary: Is that so. I grew up on Truman, What school did you attend?
Pete: I went to North Side Elementary and then Washington High
School.
Gary: Same here! This is amazing. I graduated in 1946.
Pete: Now that is something. I graduated in '46 too! My home room
teacher was Miss Arnold.
Gary: Well I'll be. Miss Arnold was my home room teacher, too!!

Just then, the phone rang and the bartender answered. It was his wife.
"Are there many customers today?", she asked. "Naw", answered the
bartender. "The only people here are me and the Johnson twins."

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

No comments: