Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Return

Hi,
Monday was a busy day. Took C-Bass to tennis camp, went to the Apple Store in Santa Monica, had separate lunch dates, met with our accountant and spent time with the boys and Wii. And that got us to dinner time. Whew.
Nice to see that some of you recognized the song. If you're still pondering this one, I'll tell you that it's one of the better ballads of the era. I know, that's not really a clue, just a comment. Here's a clue: There was clay in the video. 'Oh thanks', you're thinking.
"__ ! I've just got to let you know, because I wonder where you are and I wonder what you do. Are you somewhere feeling lonely? Or is someone loving you?....."
So, it turns out that there are calendars that begin with Monday. I got mail from Liz informing me that it's that way in France and Christopher wrote to tell that you can do it in Office. C-Bass will be so pleased.
It occurred to us this evening that our truck in Thailand will seem rather primitive after the cars we've been driving on this visit. It's quite 'old school' when it comes to conveniences. You know, unlock the door with the key, roll the windows up and down, air/con that doesn't turn off, no heater (thankfully) and a wheelbase that doesn't encourage U turns. I'm not complaining, it's just going to be an adjustment getting behind the wheel. Oh yeah, and then there's the shifting.
I'm starting to miss Chiang Rai. So many things that it's hard to put my finger on just one thing. I think I miss 'the pace of life'. What was feeling like traffic over there is just a few extra cars and trucks and motorbikes. I miss seeing all the unusual modes of transportation that we see on a daily basis. West L.A. doesn't have any motorbikes with trailers, no Tuk-Tuks, and certainly no 'three on a bike' travelers. A tank of gas lasts two weeks because there isn't far to go to get anywhere. I think my reaction time is quicker as a result of driving in Thailand. It's a matter of survival. (Ha) It's also a matter of survival that I have less gastric distress at 'home'. Something about eating unaltered food that makes my body happy.
Things I miss when I'm not here include: Hummingbirds, signs I can read, common language (most of the time) lots of close friendships that I hope last forever.
Have a Happy Tuesday.

Peace,
Danny

"The spiritual path is not one of attainment, but return."
~Alan Cohen

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: