Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Happiness

Hi,
First the song thing. Brenda, Linda and Lisa got it. It was "Wrapped Around Your Finger" by The Police. And now:
"You ain't got no kind of feeling inside. I got something that will sure 'nuff set your stuff on fire." Clue: This time I'm thinking of the 1974 cover of this song, by a group with a man's name, fronted by a woman. Tell me the correct answer and you get bonus points. Tell me the original artist as well and get a gold star. Tell me just the original artist and you can stay in the car. (Ha)
Today Pat took us out into the world. We started southwest of the city, just taking in the sights. We saw some real nice land, some of it rather expensive. Then we went to the top of Buffalo Hill. We were just a few minutes from the center of town, riding in the woods. We went to the top and found ourselves at Wat Doi Kow Kwai. There is a mirror covered spire that is breathtaking. At the base, is a statue of a legendary/mythical creature named "Sii Hoo, Ha Dtah" which translates as 'four ears, five eyes'. Kind of a canine body with this very busy head. There's a picture on the Flickr site. The legend is that it would eat hot coals and the end result would be gold. We walked around a bit and then Pat grabbed a mallet and hit this giant black gong. The sound was incredible. Not only did it make the expected 'gong' sound, but there were these additional thumping sounds underneath. It rang through the quiet of the mountain-top, causing all the dogs at the Wat to howl. Very eerie.
Down off the hill, we saw some beautiful houses, more vacant lots and a real slick new hotel that just about to open. We'll venture into other quadrants of the city as the days go on. Pat is on the same wavelength as us, as far as taking our time and finding the right piece of land. So far, it's all been too far from town. Some people like the isolation, but we prefer to have access to civilization without a road trip.
Tonight we went to the NB and did some shopping. I got a T-shirt made by this woman who writes on shirts, in Thai script. I came up with my own text: "I'm not a tourist, I live here." It's kind of a 'let's set the record' kind of thing. People keep asking: 'How long you stay?'. Hence, the shirt. The woman laughed when I handed her the paper with what I wanted. She got it. Oh, I didn't write it, Ploy did that for me. You can see the shirt at Flickr.
Well, time to go put some of the new pics on the web. Have a Happy Day.

Peace,
Danny

"To seek happiness outside of ourselves,
Is like trying to lasso a cloud.
Happiness is not a thing,
It is a state of mind."
~Omar Khayyam


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: