Friday, October 5, 2007

Friday Funnies

Hi,
Well, we went to Chiang Mai today. We returned about 8:30pm and stopped for dinner. As we turned on to the highway near our neighborhood, all the lights went out, we saw a flash of lightning, and we all went 'Oh'. Our first power outage. It happens here when you least expect it, apparently. Anyway, it's back and so am I. It's about 10:30 Friday night.
We had one more name to add to the list of 'Funksters'. Linda got the tune. It was "Flashlight" by Parliament, who's fearless leader was George Clinton. Oh, now you get it. Linda sent me a very interesting article about George Clinton and royalties. Let me know if you'd like to check it out.
For the weekend, consider this: "I've seen your picture, your name in lights above it. This is your big debut
It's like a dream come true...__ it will come back to you..." Clues: By a steely duet about a one syllable person.
So, we left Chiang Rai at about 7a.m., armed with a list of furniture needs, a diagram and measurements. We were ready. Our mission was to go to Hang Dong (pronounced Han Dong), a famous furniture village, and get some deals on unique items. We arrived before lunchtime so it was easy shopping. There are neatly planned 'zones', like streets lined with open-front stores. Some deal in tables and chairs, others have just carvings. Still others have very original work by local craftsmen. We ended up getting all but a few things. Blue was invaluable as translator and negotiator. Some of the shop people spoke English, but most didn't. He had taken us to this same place in '01 and it was much smaller then. It's all due to get here Monday or Tuesday, then I'll share some pics with you. We also happened upon a shop that sold didgiredoos, and I got a pretty nice one. They're made from bamboo, but with aboriginal art and a nice tone.
After the furniture adventure, we went to Central, the huge mall store that I told you about. Tried to get my email fixed at the DTAC store (my cell phone provider) but it took them forever to tell me that I couldn't get 'push' email. They did set up GPRS for me so now I can go on-line from anywhere, without Wi-Fi. Very Cool. We went looking for nice sheets, but were disappointed. We now have our first 'all-in-one' printer, so we can do things just like August. I'm 'over joyed'.
Back to the black-out. We were slowly making our way through the hood, when Khun Soom got a call from his sister, our landlady of sorts. I guess she was telling him about the power. When we got to the house, it was raining, no lights, and I had to go to the back of the house to unlock the door. As I was going to the rear, I saw a flashlight shining in front of me. It was Boon Serm to the rescue. He gave me the light and then returned a bit later with candles and a lighter. What a guy.
It's time for the 'Funnies', from my buddy Linda. Have a Great WeekEnd.

Peace,
Danny

PS New pics from the road, later today.


"I rear ended a car this morning.....
I tell you, I knew it was going to be a REALLY bad day!
The driver got out of the other car, and he was a DWARF!!
He looked up at me and said "I am NOT Happy!"
So I said, "Well.... Which one ARE you then?"
That's how the fight started..."

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: