Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Time


Hi,

The weather in Chiang Rai has been mild, compared to a few weeks ago.  It warms up, but not the crushing heat of the hot season.  

The ‘Easy Monday’ song was “Cupid” by Sam Cooke.  Here’s one you might remember: “__ __ __ __ __ __ __, protected by a silver spoon.  But now she sucks her thumb and wanders by the banks of her own lagoon.  Didn’t anybody tell her?  Didn’t anybody see?  Sunday’s on the phone to Monday.  Tuesday’s on the phone to me.”  Hint: The title makes reference to an unusual method of entry.  Another from the four lads from across the pond.

This morning I started a series of physical therapy (PT) at Overbrook Hospital.  I now know that I must instruct them to do all the work with me on my side, instead of on my stomach.  I left there feeling like they made things worse.  It was discouraging to say the least.  Maybe my new plan will bring a change.

We had lunch at The Wanderer with our friends Brenda and Eric.  It had been a long time since we had spent any time together so there were many stories to be told.  Eric is the person who donated the big tree in Blue’s memory. He is what I’d call an adventurer, traveling around Thailand on his motorbike, hiking, diving, etc.  Brenda has been traveling in other directions, like Europe and the States.  We share, we laugh, we learn and we find common ground. It was a good lunch.

This afternoon I went to the kitchen to make coffee and noticed the screen door was ajar.  My first thought was that Chopper was in the house.  I had a feeling, so I looked outside in the usual places he naps.  There was no Chopper to be seen.  Just as I was about to go upstairs, his favorite place, he was creeping down the stairs.  New rule in the house, close that door.  To his credit, he’s figured out how to open two doors and gain entry.

Before dinner we had a visit from Cat and her boyfriend, Noom.  It was a pleasant chat, with him catching a few English words here and there and Cat telling us about being accepted to go to Indonesia in January.  It’s the first time we’ve had a visit with him.  He works at the airport doing lots of jobs.  We encouraged Cat to start teaching him English, since that what she does.  More homework (555).  They were on their way to the Loy Krathong festival across the river from us. 

These photos from the opening of the games feature a banner by an artist we like.  Each team/province was introduced with a painting depicting an aspect of Thai life.  The second photo is a costume close-up.  Couldn’t resist showing the ingenuity.   



There is a bass moaning in the distance.  That means the party is about to get started.  Oh joy.  I hope the kids are having fun.

It feels like a Wacky Wednesday.

                             Peace,
                                       Danny

“Time stays long enough
for anyone who will use it.”
~Leonardo da Vinci

No comments: